Garden And Gossip Forums
This time last year........... - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Nutty as a fruit cake (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: This time last year........... (/showthread.php?tid=1132)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: This time last year........... - Veggie - 14-06-2021

(14-06-2021, 10:17 AM)Veggie Wrote: There may be a trip to B&M later today as they have some £1.50 notebooks in various designs. I'll see how many different ones they have - don't want duplicates as that would be confusing.Wink https://www.bmstores.co.uk/search?sortBy=prod_bmstores_price_asc&query=A5
I'm back from B&M - they only had 4 different designs - but they'll keep me occupied for 4 months - plenty of time for them to put some more on the shelf.
I have  "Ruff notes" with a dog; "Paws for thought" with cat, a "Shine Bright" star and my favourite, Leopards in the jungle.
Which one shall it be for June - as I'm starting tomorrow?

RE: This time last year........... - Mark_Riga - 14-06-2021

My last thing on these, An idea of the type of spreadsheet that can be useful year to year:

[attachment=3133]

Each year when I am doing something and look back to see how it went last year, it often is missing or I wish there was more info. sometimes it is good. And you can use it to add up a crop as you pick it.
The BP tab is blood pressure but the rest is mainly gardening.
The 'jobs now' tab is a rough jotter with a list of most of the jobs outstanding and then 7 days with as many as i think will get done each day. These get deleted when done and new ones get added in.

I'm not a great fan of spreadsheets as I used to develop them for a biscuit and snack company for a living but it paid off the mortgage. I grew to dislike Microsoft and now just use Linux and open source software which is now very good.

RE: This time last year........... - Veggie - 15-06-2021

Thanks for sharing it, Mark but it wouldn't work for me - too many facts and not enough waffle.
I spent the last 10 or so years of my working life as an Internal Auditor and 95% of the job was intensely boring. The remaining 5% was the fun stuff.
Spreadsheets always remind me of the 95% that I didn't enjoy - I need more of the 5% - that's why I downed my purple pen and retired. Even remembering the job has started me yawning.-or maybe its past my bedtime!!

Nos da. Smile

RE: This time last year........... - JJB - 15-06-2021

I use both spreadsheets and books so hedging my bets, neither are fully informative and I always wish I'd written more. Did try one year weighing courgettes and recording, that was a right old faff, and who cares in the great scheme of things! There's always too many, some better than others.

RE: This time last year........... - Veggie - 15-06-2021

I have 2 more books - 89p in Home BargainsBig Grin The covers are a bit softer than the B&M one but 200 pages in each should be enough. Even writing a page a day that's 6 years.Smile
The first page of the month is going to be an "Index" of Highlights - so June might be "12th Picked first tomatoes" - "15th Planted Runner beans" so that I can see at a glance what important things happened without reading 30 pages of waffle to find it. The Waffle will be the sort of stuff on "What I did today"; the Highlights are "What I sowed/Picked".

RE: This time last year........... - Admin - 16-06-2021

I am another one who hates spreadsheets, quite often meaning a lot to the author but nothing to the audience.

Management systems are another pet hate, often written by people who have no concept of the customers business.

RE: This time last year........... - Veggie - 02-07-2021

A little update! June's Diary is on the bookshelf, and July's is in front of me. I've chosen the "Ruff Notes" cartoon dog who looks a bit like a French Bulldog, one of which, called Benji , I met yesterday and we had a long snuffle and snort together.
In case you think I'm a day late, I started it yesterday. Smile

RE: This time last year........... - JJB - 02-07-2021

Are you finding the new book system useful, although I expect you've not done it long enough to tell yet.

RE: This time last year........... - Veggie - 02-07-2021

Like you say, its only 2 weeks old!
Ask me again next July.Smile

RE: This time last year........... - JJB - 03-07-2021

As if I'll remember then! But best of luck. The scheme is very tempting.