Garden And Gossip Forums
Good Morning, Afternoon, Evening, Night! - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Good Morning, Afternoon, Evening, Night! (/showthread.php?tid=11)

RE: Good Morning, Afternoon, Evening, Night! - Broadway - 03-06-2020

(03-06-2020, 12:41 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote:
(03-06-2020, 09:40 AM)Broadway Wrote:
(03-06-2020, 09:28 AM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: Morning all.
Got my leeks in yesterday - 131 Musselburgh. The extra 1 was thanks to a mole tunnel I'd failed to dig out. Dibbed hole, dropped in leekling, bit of compost and then half way through watering in there was a whoosh and a gurgle and the lot disappeared  Exclamation More compost, another leek and this time it stayed put. The joy of gardening on a mole infested slope  Big Grin

We have storms and hail forecast today and given that the hailstones can be big enough to smash roofs I've spent the morning rigging up protection for my lovelies - aubergines, peppers & chilllies. The rest will get individual buckets or pots if it looks bad.

Have a good day folks, and I hope those waiting for rain get it Smile And a decent amount.
Hi PP

Leek envy here, when you have 5mins would you mind explaining when and how you sow your leeks and what size they were when you planted out?

Much appreciated......

Hi Danny - they were sown in a big pot (15cm ish) on the 29th Feb and were between darning needle and thin pencil size at planting out. I don't pot them on or anything, just take them out of the pot and stand the clump in a deep tray of water while planting out so it is easy to separate the plants. Hope that helps Smile

Thanks PP, you make it sound so easySmile

Is the pot kept outside or indoors?

RE: Good Morning, Afternoon, Evening, Night! - Jay - 03-06-2020

Evening all! First of all driveway looks great Stem!!
Been a lovely afternoon but what a change in temperature! It was actually chilly this morning!
Not been doing much today, a bit on the tired side but hopefully will do better tomorrow! Smile
Hope you all had a lovely day. x

RE: Good Morning, Afternoon, Evening, Night! - PyreneesPlot - 03-06-2020

(03-06-2020, 02:03 PM)Broadway Wrote:
(03-06-2020, 12:41 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote:
(03-06-2020, 09:40 AM)Broadway Wrote:
(03-06-2020, 09:28 AM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: Morning all.
Got my leeks in yesterday - 131 Musselburgh. The extra 1 was thanks to a mole tunnel I'd failed to dig out. Dibbed hole, dropped in leekling, bit of compost and then half way through watering in there was a whoosh and a gurgle and the lot disappeared  Exclamation More compost, another leek and this time it stayed put. The joy of gardening on a mole infested slope  Big Grin

We have storms and hail forecast today and given that the hailstones can be big enough to smash roofs I've spent the morning rigging up protection for my lovelies - aubergines, peppers & chilllies. The rest will get individual buckets or pots if it looks bad.

Have a good day folks, and I hope those waiting for rain get it Smile And a decent amount.
Hi PP

Leek envy here, when you have 5mins would you mind explaining when and how you sow your leeks and what size they were when you planted out?

Much appreciated......

Hi Danny - they were sown in a big pot (15cm ish) on the 29th Feb and were between darning needle and thin pencil size at planting out. I don't pot them on or anything, just take them out of the pot and stand the clump in a deep tray of water while planting out so it is easy to separate the plants. Hope that helps Smile

Thanks PP, you make it sound so easySmile

Is the pot kept outside or indoors?

Outdoors, but in a sheltered place. Smile
To be honest, I find leeks pretty easy, but we have terrible allium leafminer so the whole bed has to be fleeced when they are active.

RE: Good Morning, Afternoon, Evening, Night! - Vinny - 04-06-2020

Morning all.

Just been on the 'other' site but can't work out how to post a reply so I came here.

Someone mentioned Apricots and having bought loads over the years they always seem dry and tasteless. I bought some for very little money in Aldi the other day and they were really juicy and tasteful. I may go back and buy a good few of them and make some Apricot jam or else freeze them Cool

I will be heading to the plot at some time today where I have about 20 packets of mainly old seed to sow. They will either grow or not, but at least I will get rid of the seed packets. Sleepy
I also managed to get potting compost cheaply at my favourite store so can get my chillies potted on to there final position. I still have butternut squash and cucumbers to plant out but with this cold spell they can stay in the greenhouse another week or so.

TTFN

RE: Good Morning, Afternoon, Evening, Night! - Curly - 04-06-2020

Hello heavy rain here just now busy trying to remove nails and staples from some pallet wood my daughter brought in yesterday not for anything I want she wants a mini bar made from them and it's the dirtiest crapiest pallets I have seen for a while when I said a bout the condition of them I was told what do you expect during a pandemic however it will keep me busy for a while

Why can't I get some wee funny faces on here

RE: Good Morning, Afternoon, Evening, Night! - Vinny - 04-06-2020

(04-06-2020, 10:59 AM)Curly Wrote: Hello heavy rain here just now busy trying to remove nails and staples from some pallet wood my daughter brought in yesterday not for anything I want she wants a mini bar made from them and it's the dirtiest crapiest pallets I have seen for a while when I said a bout the condition of them I was told  what do you expect during a pandemic  however it will keep me busy for a while

Why can't I get some wee funny faces on here
You've probably went for quick reply rather than new reply. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

RE: Good Morning, Afternoon, Evening, Night! - Bren - 04-06-2020

Evening, yesterdays rains done the garden a lot of good I'm sure my telephone peas have grown a foot since the day before. Smile

RE: Good Morning, Afternoon, Evening, Night! - Veggie - 05-06-2020

Happy Friday, One and All.
Its an iffy day out there - not sure what it will turn into - cold, windy, wet or, hopefully, sunshiny.  Smile

Curly, as Vinny said,  use "New Post" for wee faces - they're in the  tool bar. They're also above that in "Post Icon" but they appear at the start of your post, not in the text. There should be a Star at the start of this post if what I'm saying is right!!  Rolleyes  

Have a great day, whatever floats your boat.

RE: Good Morning, Afternoon, Evening, Night! - Vinny - 05-06-2020

Mornin playmates

This bit of rain has made weeds go berserk at the plot. The problem is, that if I hoe them off as I like to do, they may re-root because more rain is forecast. The upside is that hoe-ing is easy when ground is wet. Smile
I've just been out and trimmed my buxus (box). I am trying to create a 'Christmas Island' head but its a slow work in progress. Rolleyes

I need to plant out my Chervil in my herb garden at home and a visit to the plot will hopefully get some more carrots sown outdoors, along with turnips when I figure out where to put them.
Then its greenhouse sowing in pots of all old seed. Idea

TTFN

RE: Good Morning, Afternoon, Evening, Night! - Bren - 05-06-2020

(05-06-2020, 09:31 AM)Veggie Wrote: Happy Friday, One and All.
Its an iffy day out there - not sure what it will turn into - cold, windy, wet or, hopefully, sunshiny.  Smile
Afternoon, as weather goes we’ve had all of the above veggie just now we’re on a sunny windy episode Smile  the last lot of rain  caught me out I’d just about finished planting out my chard at least I didn’t have to water them.