Garden And Gossip Forums
Could you describe another as an animal - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Could you describe another as an animal (/showthread.php?tid=306)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Could you describe another as an animal - JJB - 05-07-2020

I'm afraid the gardening gene isn't hereditary. My lad when he was little was helping me to plant out veges. We finished the row very proudly and he asked 'what have we planted mummy?' I told him cabbages. He replied 'YUK! I hate cabbage!' and proceeded to pull the lot out. So much for teaching kids where their food comes from so they appreciate it! Sad He's a bit better now he's grown, marginally.

RE: Could you describe another as an animal - Mikey - 05-07-2020

You’re mean, Tongue  we don’t develop the ability to appreciate bitter until our late teens. Some of us though I think have an inability to recognise it, which was why even from a very young age I loved sprouts they taste really sweet to me.

RE: Could you describe another as an animal - Veggie - 05-07-2020

(05-07-2020, 08:44 PM)JJB Wrote: I'm afraid the gardening gene isn't hereditary.  My lad when he was little was helping me to plant out veges.  We finished the row very proudly and he asked 'what have we planted mummy?'  I told him cabbages.  He replied  'YUK! I hate cabbage!'  and proceeded to pull the lot out.  So much for teaching kids where their food comes from so they appreciate it! Sad  He's a bit better now he's grown, marginally.
Maybe he didn't like cabbage because of the way you cooked them.Smile
I'm sure my Mum used to put bicarb or summat in the water to keep it green - then proceeded to boil it to sludge. It was enough to put anyone off cabbage. Not that you'd do anything so heinous as that JJB. Smile

RE: Could you describe another as an animal - Can the Man - 05-07-2020

I still use baking soda in the water when boiling cabbage but I don’t boil the crap out of it. My cabbage has a bit of a bite out of it.

RE: Could you describe another as an animal - Veggie - 05-07-2020

(05-07-2020, 09:46 PM)Can the Man Wrote: My cabbage has a bit of a bite out of it.
That'll be the caterpillars!

RE: Could you describe another as an animal - Can the Man - 06-07-2020

(05-07-2020, 10:21 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(05-07-2020, 09:46 PM)Can the Man Wrote: My cabbage has a bit of a bite out of it.
That'll be the caterpillars!
 Not that type of bite  Tongue

RE: Could you describe another as an animal - Mikey - 07-07-2020

Is it a welsh thing, my mother always put bicarb in with the green veg they become luminous. She also boiled it until you no longer required your teeth to eat it. bleugh.

Everything is steamed in our house, I would say though the gravy my mam made having removed all the nutrients from the veg was wonderful.

RE: Could you describe another as an animal - Veggie - 07-07-2020

My dad used to drink the cabbage water - said it was full of goodness - whatever that meant!

RE: Could you describe another as an animal - Can the Man - 07-07-2020

My MiL used boil the cabbage in the bacon water, it was disgustingly salty and greasy, I could never eat it, it was generally white stalky cabbage, I wouldn’t call it cabbage. To me cabbage is green and leafy and the bicarbonate keeps it that way.

RE: Could you describe another as an animal - JJB - 07-07-2020

(07-07-2020, 06:55 PM)Veggie Wrote: My dad used to drink the cabbage water - said it was full of goodness - whatever that meant!

My grandma did the same, and told me the same.  Grandma was a bit dotty though, you'd have loved her.