Garden And Gossip Forums
All about Garden Shrubs - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: Flowers and Ornamentals (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Forum: All about Flowers and Ornamentals (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: All about Garden Shrubs (/showthread.php?tid=179)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: All about Garden Shrubs - JJB - 09-06-2020

Definitely a flamingo willow, thank you everyone, I wouldn't have come up with that without help

RE: All about Garden Shrubs - Scarlet - 09-06-2020

(09-06-2020, 08:33 PM)Vinny Wrote: Having looked round my herbaceous borders I have too many purple flowered shrubs Confused . Luckily I have a hydrangea which because I am on an acid soil has lovely sky blue flowers when it comes out. Cool I planted flowering alliums in front of my purple rhododendron not realising the flowers have an identical colour and looking from my kitchen window can't be distinguished. I will move them next year.
Every year I move plants around as I try to picture how plants would look in various positions. Big Grin
All my planting combinations are accidents. What doesn't work this year I try to change next year...though a good friend of mine keep asking me when I will move a peony I have in one border. It's bright orange/red and clashes badly with some pink roses - they always flower at the same time Big Grin I've not got round to it yet! Smile

RE: All about Garden Shrubs - Farendwoman - 16-05-2023

Very pleased with my tamarisk this year.
When we moved here (over twenty years ago) the house was called Tamarisk, even though there wasn’t a tamarisk to be seen.
I bought a small shrub and planted it in the front garden.
It has done ok, but this year it is smashing.

RE: All about Garden Shrubs - Veggie - 16-05-2023

[attachment=6374]

A Variegated Weigela that always brightens my day when its in flower.

RE: All about Garden Shrubs - Scarlet - 17-05-2023

I've noticed a few of those tamarisk bushes this year....they must love a cold Spring?

RE: All about Garden Shrubs - JJB - 18-05-2023

My pal who, although has a garden, is no gardener, has dug out the roots of something quite big and now has a big hole. She asked me what to plant in it. She wants a 'tree' but not a fruit tree or anything that grows to 30ft. I suspect she means a large shrub. She wants something with some interest. She does a lot of pruning and cutting back Smile. She's on alkaline or chalky soil. I've not had a proper look at the position but weather permitting I will do next Tuesday. She already has a lilac. I've suggested the shrubs from this thread, Black Sambuca and Physocarpus and will suggest Tamarisk. Any other bright ideas?

RE: All about Garden Shrubs - MartinH - 18-05-2023

How about a red hawthorn tree? Beautiful in flower, beautiful hips in autumn, great for the native wildlife, doesn't grow tall, tough as anything. I was thinking of getting "Paul's Scarlet" myself, as it happens.

Two more I was thinking about: an Amelanchier tree, another nice small one with lots of seasonal interest.

Also the winter flowering cherry tree Prunus subhirtella autumnalis. I have planted this in other gardens, it has very welcome pale pink flowers on bare branches from late autumn through to spring, whenever there's a few mild days in a row. Plant it somewhere where you walk past it every day. Pretty boring in the summer, mind.

RE: All about Garden Shrubs - doublyjonah - 18-05-2023

(18-05-2023, 04:33 PM)MartinH Wrote: How about a red hawthorn tree? Beautiful in flower, beautiful hips in autumn, great for the native wildlife, doesn't grow tall, tough as anything. I was thinking of getting "Paul's Scarlet" myself, as it happens.

Two more I was thinking about: an Amelanchier tree, another nice small one with lots of seasonal interest.

Also the winter flowering cherry tree Prunus subhirtella autumnalis. I have planted this in other gardens, it has very welcome pale pink flowers on bare branches from late autumn through to spring, whenever there's a few mild days in a row. Plant it somewhere where you walk past it every day. Pretty boring in the summer, mind.
Second the amelanchier. We have one in a cramped back garden (in a pot at the moment) and it's a lovely tree with lots of interest that isn't imposing on the space.

RE: All about Garden Shrubs - Veggie - 18-05-2023

Does the Red hawthorn have thorns, Martin? I have the ordinary one and its a vicious beast.
How about a Japanese maple or a Liquidambar? Prune the top off it to keep the height down.

RE: All about Garden Shrubs - JJB - 18-05-2023

PS no thorns or poisons please, my pal minds her granddaughter regularly so has to be mindful of little one grasping or eating the bits and bobs