Vinny's Allotment Plot
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Watering & weeding.

But first, I gathered a tray of ripe strawberries.

The weeding was initially around my onions, by hand. After that it became jungle warfare. Donning the leather welding gloves and secateurs I waded into the thistles, nettles, docks and briar roses.Most will rot down but the briar rose could be a problem.
I found a gooseberry bush and blackcurrant bush full of fruit under all the weeds! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Watered tomatoes then guess what?....................MORE weeding! Rolleyes

This time it was the paths with a hoe. It's surprising what a bit of rain can do for weed growth! Sick

Ate a few strawberries and rasps and took home three large onions and two courgettes.

Must have spent a couple of hours weilding a hoe. My arms will finish up like Popeyes! Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Mark_Riga, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(09-07-2023, 03:03 PM)Vinny Wrote: Watered tomatoes then guess what?....................MORE weeding! Rolleyes

This time it was the paths with a hoe. It's surprising what a bit of rain can do for weed growth! Sick

Ate a few strawberries and rasps and took home three large onions and two courgettes.

Must have spent a couple of hours weilding a hoe. My arms will finish up like Popeyes! Big Grin

Not if you don't eat your spinach   Wink
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(09-07-2023, 05:27 PM)JJB Wrote:
(09-07-2023, 03:03 PM)Vinny Wrote: Watered tomatoes then guess what?....................MORE weeding! Rolleyes

Not if you don't eat your spinach   Wink
Touche!Tongue Tongue Big Grin
  • JJB, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Back at plot today. After watering my tomatoes in the greenhouse I grazed on  a few strawberries, gooseberries, raspberries & blackcurrants that were growing.

I then tidied up my Japanese onion bed and laid the dying tops down in a less tangled mess. The Elephant garlic is about finished so I dug a few from the largest ones and some from what were the the smaller bulbs.
I reckon they are all about ready for lifting but it started to rain so only did a trial.
I also have a pumpkin starting, but it isn't a big pumpkin variety.

Piccies below.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

• Broadway, Veggie

Vinny Offline
I called at plot after doing some shopping this morning. I decided to dig up all my elephant garlic and will let it dry off a bit before chopping the tops off and storing it indoors, eventually. The larger corms that I planrted seprately and gave more space to are in some cases double the size of the others.
After watering toms and lifting garlic I did half an hour's hand weeding of onion beds and dropped the weeds on the paths.

Befre I left I muched a few raspberries and harvested some broad beans. I also took one of the large elephant garlic heads with me to use as flavouring for my meat dishes. Rolleyes

Photo's of todays work below. Brick is to give an idea of garlic size! Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, MartinH, Veggie

Broadway Offline
Hey Vinny,

Looking good. In you onion picture are the bright green looking bits bottom left tree cabbage?
Regards..........Danny Smile

Vinny Offline
(17-07-2023, 05:51 PM)Broadway Wrote: Hey Vinny,

Looking good. In you onion picture are the bright green looking bits bottom left tree cabbage?
Yep, last years Austurian tree cabbage re-sprouted on a few of them. Smile

Broadway Offline
(18-07-2023, 08:48 AM)Vinny Wrote:

Thought so, I'm growing some this year and reconised the colour.

Out of interested how tall did they get last year, and do they die right back?
Regards..........Danny Smile

Vinny Offline
(18-07-2023, 09:16 AM)Broadway Wrote:
(18-07-2023, 08:48 AM)Vinny Wrote:

Thought so, I'm growing some this year and reconised the colour.

Out of interested how tall did they get last year, and do they die right back?
Mine grew about 3 foot high then went to seed. I left the sprouts for awhile to see if they would set seed, bu they didn't. I then thought if I aint going to get any seed I may as well chop all the seed stalks off and try and perennialise the plant?  This worked to some extent but only on a couple of the plants. I think in future a better idea maybe to take sprouts and use them as cuttings?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Broadway