Germination Issues?
Broadway Offline
(18-02-2021, 03:10 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: What are you trying to germinate? Unless it's peppers/chillies/tomatoes/cucumbers etc. or anything that likes it hot, most things germinate OK at room temperature. I think a windowsill propagator like that would cook plants on a sunny day. I germinate lots of stuff on windowsills but generally uncovered unless it's seeds sown on the surface.

As far as watering goes, after I've filled the modules/pots with compost, I water very well before sowing then don't water again unless the surface is getting very dry.
Erm, peppers/chillies/tomatoesSmileSmile

It may just be me and the location, I'm not sure I've used the heated one since we've been in this house.

Just had a thought, I may just try it unplugged
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet

toomanytommytoes Offline
Have you got a thermometer you can monitor the temperature with?
[-] The following 1 user Likes toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
(18-02-2021, 03:17 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Have you got a thermometer you can monitor the temperature with?
I've just laid one across 6 of the lids
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
You need to put the thermometer inside the lids not on top as that's room temperature!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
(18-02-2021, 03:44 PM)Veggie Wrote: You need to put the thermometer inside the lids not on top as that's room temperature!
Ok well that's the best I can do given it's 4 times the size SmileSmile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

Broadway Offline
TBH my main query was around watering, am I right in saying the consensus was water initially and that's it until they have germinated?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

Spec Offline
If your thermometer is thin enough, open one the vent and stick the thermometer into the compost you only need it in for a minute or so to get the temperature. As for watering, I sow the seeds then sit the tray or pot into a basin of water to let it soak up the water, another way to check the moisture in the compost is to press a bit of newspaper onto the surface and if its dry sit the tray or pot into water again
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

toomanytommytoes Offline
(18-02-2021, 03:47 PM)Broadway Wrote: TBH my main query was around watering, am I right in saying the consensus was water initially and that's it until they have germinated?
That's what I prefer, though I do water a bit if the surface of the compost is getting dry.
[-] The following 4 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, JJB, mcdood

mcdood Offline
I have one similar to that Danny. For toms, chillies etc I leave switched on. And on a window sill in a warm room. As others have said compost damp but not sodden. I wouldn't let it dry out, sometimes I just tip any condensation back onto the surface. Tomatoes usually come up quite quickly for me, chillies a lot slower. How long have they been in there?
[-] The following 2 users Like mcdood's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Just seen this article about heat mats - it may help you with your questions, Danny.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle...V-uU0VR8aM
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB