Germination Issues?
Broadway Offline
Hello folks

I seem to have few issues with germination from my unheated propagators however my heated one isn't yielding much at all.

I appreciate there are a number of factors however my question is around watering, what's the score, do I make sure the soil is always moist?
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
What kind of heated propagator do you have? Is it thermostatically controlled? What's the ambient temperature of the room it's in? How high above ambient is it supposed to raise the temperature? (It could be anything between 8 and 12 degrees, depending on the model.)

I ask these questions not as an expert, but as someone who has had patchy success in the past and wants to up her game this year!

Edit: I know you asked about watering, but knowing your setup might help with answers Smile
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Eyren's post:
  • Can the Man

Admin Offline
The Boss
I dampen the soil before sowing and putting in the propagator, then no more until germination has happened and shoots appear.
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 4 users Like Admin's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Veggie, Vinny

Broadway Offline
(18-02-2021, 12:33 PM)Eyren Wrote: What kind of heated propagator do you have? Is it thermostatically controlled? What's the ambient temperature of the room it's in? How high above ambient is it supposed to raise the temperature? (It could be anything between 8 and 12 degrees, depending on the model.)

I ask these questions not as an expert, but as someone who has had patchy success in the past and wants to up her game this year!

Edit: I know you asked about watering, but knowing your setup might help with answers Smile
Hiya Eyren

I'm not sure about the ambient temperature of the room but the product description states - This unit is not thermostatically controlled and is designed to increase the ambient compost temperature by around 8°C.

I originally had it sitting on the windowsill with a radiator underneath, the soil was looking very dry so I re-sowed and moved it to a location away from the window to see if that would help.

That's about all I've got really.
[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I find sitting it on a radiator or near such a lot of heat can dry things out too quick. I would give the seed tray a good soak. Put seed on top and then add some on top.
Lid on the prop and try it away from the rad. I have no issues adding a little warm water to keep the seed tray moist.
I have some hot spots in my house - one windowsill has a rad under it and I get most failures there due to the trays drying out too fast.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(18-02-2021, 12:57 PM)Admin Wrote: I dampen the soil before sowing and putting in the propagator, then no more until germination has happened and shoots appear.
Same here.Smile
One person's "moist" is another one's "sopping" or "barely damp"!

How much condensation do you get inside the lid?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
(18-02-2021, 01:36 PM)Scarlet Wrote: I find sitting it on a radiator or near such a lot of heat can dry things out too quick. I would give the seed tray a good soak. Put seed on top and then add some on top.
Lid on the prop and try it away from the rad. I have no issues adding a little warm water to keep the seed tray moist.
I have some hot spots in my house - one windowsill has a rad under it and I get most failures there due to the trays drying out too fast.
Hi Scarlet

Here is the propagator, are you saying I could/should put water in the tray?

https://www.waterirrigation.co.uk/catalo...ory/16738/
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Usually you keep the capillary matting moist and the seed trays absorb it that way. I haven't used a propagator like yours.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

toomanytommytoes Offline
What are you trying to germinate? Unless it's peppers/chillies/tomatoes/cucumbers etc. or anything that likes it hot, most things germinate OK at room temperature. I think a windowsill propagator like that would cook plants on a sunny day. I germinate lots of stuff on windowsills but generally uncovered unless it's seeds sown on the surface.

As far as watering goes, after I've filled the modules/pots with compost, I water very well before sowing then don't water again unless the surface is getting very dry.
[-] The following 4 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, Mark_Riga, mcdood

Broadway Offline
(18-02-2021, 02:56 PM)Veggie Wrote: Usually you keep the capillary matting moist and the seed trays absorb it that way. I haven't used a propagator like yours.
Agreed, I have the similar unheated one below..

https://www.dobies.co.uk/garden-equipmen...=GAresults
  • Can the Man