Chitting Potatoes
Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Mine are chitting in a basket on the bench in the garage. Nicola & Roosters, also have a few Cara from last year.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • mcdood

Bren Offline
My Charlottes are chitting on egg trays near a bedroom window.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • mcdood, Vinny

toomanytommytoes Offline
Charlottes for me too, this year. Wasn't that impressed with the taste of Casablanca last year, though the yield was good. Wanted to try Lady Christl instead but the garden centre didn't have them and the prices online (+postage) are a bit steep in comparison.
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Bren, mcdood

Admin Offline
The Boss
I no longer bother as it makes little difference I have found, I was always told that only first earlies needed chitting.

Perhaps colder parts of the UK find it beneficial
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 3 users Like Admin's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, mcdood

MartinH Offline
I chit mine, simply because I buy them early before the shop runs out and I've nowhere to put them where they won't sprout. If I leave them in that string bag the sprouts all get tangled up in the holes. So they might as well do their sprouting eyes-up on the windowsill.
[-] The following 4 users Like MartinH's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga, mcdood, Vinny

mcdood Offline
(17-02-2021, 08:58 PM)MartinH Wrote: I chit mine, simply because I buy them early before the shop runs out and I've nowhere to put them where they won't sprout. If I leave them in that string bag the sprouts all get tangled up in the holes. So they might as well do their sprouting eyes-up on the windowsill.
Exactly the same. I dont necessarily think they have to be chitted  but the spuds have to be somewhere so I'd sooner they develop short green sprouts in a cool but light place rather than long white ones in a box somewhere
[-] The following 5 users Like mcdood's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, Mark_Riga, MartinH, Vinny

Bren Offline
(17-02-2021, 09:08 PM)mcdood Wrote:
(17-02-2021, 08:58 PM)MartinH Wrote: I chit mine, simply because I buy them early before the shop runs out and I've nowhere to put them where they won't sprout. If I leave them in that string bag the sprouts all get tangled up in the holes. So they might as well do their sprouting eyes-up on the windowsill.
Exactly the same. I dont necessarily think they have to be chitted  but the spuds have to be somewhere so I'd sooner they develop short green sprouts in a cool but light place rather than long white ones in a box somewhere

I chit mine for the same reason,   I pick mine up from a local corn merchant so I get them as soon as stocks come in.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, mcdood

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(17-02-2021, 09:08 PM)mcdood Wrote: Exactly the same. I dont necessarily think they have to be chitted  but the spuds have to be somewhere so I'd sooner they develop short green sprouts in a cool but light place rather than long white ones in a box somewhere

Thanks for the reminder! I left mine in their brown paper sack in the hall, as we had no central heating for nearly a month, but now it's fixed they're liable to get going! I'll take a look at lunchtime and set them out in a seed tray if they're looking ready. The windowsill halfway up the stairs might be cool enough as long as it doesn't get too sunny.
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Can the Man, mcdood