Chitting Potatoes
Broadway Offline
Morning Folks

Looks like I shouldn't have kept these in a closed box!

Am I right in saying I can break these off and let them start again?

Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
If you leave them you will have to be very careful when planting.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, mcdood

Mikey Offline
Much better on a windowsill somewhere cold like the garage.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, mcdood

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
When do you guys chit your second earlies? It's years since I grew potatoes, and there seems to be a lot of conflicting advice online.

I'll be growing them in bags, if it makes any difference, and I'm in East Anglia, so we don't often get frosts after 31st March - and I can always bring them into the conservatory if we have a cold snap.
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

mcdood Offline
If you have your seed potatoes and have somewhere cool and light to chit them I would start them now. Having said that mine are still in a box in a cold garage. Im waiting for the arctic temps to move on.
[-] The following 3 users Like mcdood's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, JJB

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
They will be OK if you leave them. But put them somewhere light now and be careful when planting.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(13-02-2021, 01:55 PM)mcdood Wrote: If you have your seed potatoes and have somewhere cool and light to chit them I would start them now. Having said that mine are still in a box in a cold garage. Im waiting for the arctic temps to move on.

Thanks! My problem is finding somewhere both cool and light - the old conservatory is pretty cold at the moment, but it (and the south-facing windowsills) get quite warm when the sun comes out. That said, I don't need to chit very many, so I could put them on a south-facing windowsill now, and move them into the north-facing kitchen temporarily if we get a warm spell.
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Can the Man, mcdood

Spec Offline
(13-02-2021, 10:36 AM)Broadway Wrote: Morning Folks

Looks like I shouldn't have kept these in a closed box!

Am I right in saying I can break these off and let them start again?
I would leave any short ones as they are and as long as there are more eyes on the others it should be alright to remove the stems
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man

Spec Offline
(13-02-2021, 01:01 PM)Eyren Wrote: When do you guys chit your second earlies? It's years since I grew potatoes, and there seems to be a lot of conflicting advice online.

I'll be growing them in bags, if it makes any difference, and I'm in East Anglia, so we don't often get frosts after 31st March - and I can always bring them into the conservatory if we have a cold snap.

I never bother chitting my potatoes
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren

mcdood Offline
Spuds are chitting in a plastic greenhouse:
Swift, Pentland Javelin, Charlotte, Desiree and Setanta.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mcdood's post:
  • Broadway