Burning unseasoned wood?
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Do you have anywhere to stack it, Vinny?
This may help................ https://www.directstoves.com/resources/h...-firewood/
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(06-02-2021, 10:05 PM)Veggie Wrote: Do you have anywhere to stack it, Vinny?
This may help................https://www.directstoves.com/resources/how-to-stack-store-and-season-firewood/
Yes i have Veggie, but I need some to burn soon. Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
As the sign on my desk used to say

"PLAN AHEA"
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Bren Offline
Vinny I'd ring him back and check if the wood is just wet or is it unseasoned.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bren's post:
  • Can the Man

Vinny Offline
(07-02-2021, 10:56 AM)Bren Wrote: Vinny I'd ring him back and check if the wood is just wet or is it unseasoned.
Great minds Bren. Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man

Vinny Offline
(07-02-2021, 10:19 AM)Veggie Wrote: As the sign on my desk used to say

"PLAN AHEA"
I was planning ahead. Tongue I have about enough seasoned wood left for a couple of weeks in case I couldn't get delivery straight away. 

My wood supplier has always delivered good seasoned wood. If its just wet I can understand that and have the means to dry it out. if its unseasoned, that's another matter.  Rolleyes

As an aside I did ask about woodchip for the allotment paths. He wasn't sure whether it was £50 a pick-up load or £60? I was hoping he would say it was free as I have had loads delivered to my previous site for free. I said I would have a crack with him when he delivered the other wood, but a) I don't like the idea of paying for woodchip and b) I don't need it at this moment until I get my new beds and paths sorted.
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Well, we originally agreed on delivery at the back end of the week. I am just going to take whatever he has and I have emptied my storage area to take it. All the dry seasoned timber is close to the house.
We are snowed in at present so I hope he doesn't try to deliver tomorrow as I am hoping I can get out to get some cash for him and to do a load of shopping. 
Due to get down to minus 10 tonight so I have been out, starting the car up and letting it tick over while clearing the snow and ice off the windows and door frames. That will be three times I have cleaned snow off today, hopefully for an early gettaway in the morning. We shall see. Huh
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Vinny Offline
A double tipper pickup full with (greedy boards ) of fire wood  arrived today. It appears to be a mixture of dry seasoned timber, wet seasoned timber and fresh stuff in a about equal quantities.
I stacked it accordingly. Seasoned timber close to house, fresh stuff in distant storage shed and wet stuff in a sunny position against wall under my kitchen window. Idea
All in all I am quite pleased with it although the load had went up a tenner to £190. Still, for over 30 wheelbarrow loads I don't think that was too bad. Smile

I asked about woodchip for allotment and it would cost me 30 squid for a pickup load of fresh stuff and £40 for composted stuff. If I do decide to buy some (which is doubtful) I will wait until I am ready to use it.
  • Bren, toomanytommytoes

Vinny Offline
I'e just ordered some more logs. I was surprised at how much the price had risen!! Cry For the same size load I got last year for £190, this years price is £220.

All he had was 'part seasoned logs' as well, but beggar can't be choosers! Rolleyes Percentage wise, I suppose the price hike is a lot less than gas or eletric prices.
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
We’ve got multi fuel wood burner. Our next lot of coal ( if we buy any ) will of doubled in price £38 a bag.
I don’t think we’ll be buying coal again!
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie