Burning unseasoned wood?
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Question 
I rang my log supplier to order a trailer load of logs, but he said all he had was 'wet' wood. I imagine he meant unseasoned wood and as beggars can't be choosers I ordered the wood anyway. Rolleyes
Can I still burn unseasoned wood? If not I am in big stook, and will need to order some more somewhere else! Angry

I though that by playing about with smokeless fuel and brickettes I may be able to keep the woodburner alight, adding unseasoned wood as necessary?

Have I wasted my money do you think?
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man

Admin Offline
The Boss
I have burnt green wood but needed to be chopped smaller...smokes more and spits like buggery. Over a prolonged spell it will damage the flue....my advice would be to store it till next year.

Not a waste of money, just an investment
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 3 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I "think" they, (whoever They are) are going to ban the sale of unseasoned wood because of ? pollution
As to the question, does it depends on what wood it is? Ash doesn't need seasoning. IIRC.

EDIT see article for more -https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51581817

The changes will mean:

Sales of bagged traditional house coal will be phased out by February 2021, and the sale of loose house coal direct to customers will end by 2023
Sales of wet wood in small units (less than 2m cube) will be phased out from February 2021. Wet wood in volumes greater than 2m cube will also have to be sold with advice on how to dry it before burning
Makers of solid fuels will also need to show they have a very low sulphur content and only emit a small amount of smoke.
It is not banning wood or coal burning stoves.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
You can still burn unseasoned wood. It’ll smoke more and it’ll be more difficult to keep in overnight. It’ll also soot up your chimney more quickly.
It’s amazing how many people up here have really fires/ wood burners that don’t have any where to store/dry wood. None of the suppliers up here have seasoned wood.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man

Vinny Offline
I haven't paid for it yet and I am thinking about cancelling the order on Monday which was to be delivered late next  week.

Its a shame as i have used this supplier for about three years now and don't want to go somewhere else. I might just ask for a half load and store it and get some seasoned timber off someone else? Decisions, decisions. Sick The load i normally get is about 30 to 35 full wheelbarrow loads. Rolleyes
  • Can the Man

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Is it an open fire or a stove your burning the LG’s in ?
Open fires will be ok but you will probably use more coal to keep it going. It will deposit more soot on your flue and you might see some sticky deposits on your fire back.
I’d go ahead take delivery and burn it in combination with your briquettes and coal.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.

Vinny Offline
(06-02-2021, 08:46 PM)Can the Man Wrote: Is it an open fire or a stove your burning the LG’s in ?
Open fires will be ok but you will probably use more coal to keep it going. It will deposit more soot on your flue and you might see some sticky deposits on your fire back.
I’d go ahead take delivery and burn it in combination with your briquettes and coal.
Its a multifuel glass fronted stove. I don't mind wet wood which I can dry out first but if its freshly cut 'green' wood, I have my reservations Sick
  • Can the Man

Spec Offline
Ash, birch and hawthorn burns well unseasoned, but most other types burn a lot cooler if unseasoned
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Small chilli, Vinny

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Well you could always burn some and see if your getting deposit on the glass front.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • Vinny

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
Wet or unseasoned wood makes more smoke. More smoke equals more particulate matter. In other words, more pollution. Domestic wood and coal fires account for over 39% of PM pollution in the UK.

"Particulate matter emitted from the burning of domestic fuels such as wood enters the bloodstream and has been found in internal organs resulting in long term damage to human health as well as having more immediate impacts for some people such as breathing problems or asthma attacks"
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 3 users Like Moth's post:
  • Can the Man, toomanytommytoes, Vinny