Follow On Crops
Spec Offline
Going with the replies I think the practice of crop rotation only applies if the person has the space for it, it is understandable with farming, but small scale back garden growing limits your choices and all the TV gardening presenters are doing is telling you the correct thing to do, which is not necessarily the most practical thing to do, or possibly to be a bit more sinical they are practicing PYA, after all it wouldn't look good if someone turned round saying, soinso said I could, if they had a problem.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • Can the Man

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I try not to grow brassicas or potatoes in the same area year after year. Apart from that everything is bunged in when a space becomes available ,although I do try not to follow like with like.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec

Broadway Offline
(16-11-2020, 05:12 PM)Vinny Wrote: I try not to grow brassicas or potatoes in the same area year after year. Apart from that everything is bunged in when a space becomes available ,although I do try not to follow like with like.
Ok thanks VinnySmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

JJB Offline
Moonraker
On the subject of crop rotation...ish
With my four bed plan, I have a fair idea what's likely to go where next year. It doesn't always go to plan, depending on which bed gets prepared first, but I do have a plan! It's not planned down to the nearest foot but I know which quarters will be netted and which will be manured/fed.
Does the team know, at this time of year, what they are going to grow where next year?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 

Broadway Offline
(17-11-2020, 10:48 AM)JJB Wrote: On the subject of crop rotation...ish
With my four bed plan, I have a fair idea what's likely to go where next year.  It doesn't always go to plan, depending on which bed gets prepared first, but I do have a plan!  It's not planned down to the nearest foot but I know which quarters will be netted and which will be manured/fed.
Does the team know, at this time of year, what they are going to grow where next year?
Hiya JJB

I have mine planned out on a spreadsheet for next year plus a few will be planted this year like the comfrey a month of so ago and asparagus yesterday.
Regards..........Danny Smile

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
With my four bed plan, I have a fair idea what's likely to go where next year.  It doesn't always go to plan, depending on which bed gets prepared first, but I do have a plan!  It's not planned down to the nearest foot but I know which quarters will be netted and which will be manured/fed.
Nope - but you must have known that before you asked. Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Broadway

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(17-11-2020, 11:48 AM)Veggie Wrote:
Nope - but you must have known that before you asked. Wink
I was going to exclude you from the question Veggie, but I thought it would be impolite  Big Grin
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(17-11-2020, 11:43 AM)Broadway Wrote:
Hiya JJB

I have mine planned out on a spreadsheet for next year plus a few will be planted this year like the comfrey a month of so ago and asparagus yesterday.
Danny, you're a man after my own heart
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Broadway

Bren Offline

JJB I know my brassica cage will be moved to the next bed along and my runners will be grown in the same place as  they always are.   Then theres the parsnips I have to avoid the bed next to the apple tree there's just to many roots and I end up with odd shaped parsnips.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • JJB, Veggie