Follow On Crops
Broadway Offline
Hello Folks

I've been working on my plans for next year and wondered if one of you guru's could check / confirm I'm ok with the follow-on crops suggested below?

Khol-rabi and Paq Choi to follow Potatoes
Spinach and Chard to follow Broad Beans

Also, can Broccoli follow Onions??

Thanks in advance.....
Regards..........Danny Smile

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Why are you asking?
Concerns about crop rotation or timing?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Broadway Offline
(15-11-2020, 05:56 PM)Veggie Wrote: Why are you asking?
Concerns about crop rotation or timing?
Rotation

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
OK - I'm out!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Admin Offline
The Boss
To be honest i have never bothered, different books will say differing things too. I just plant whats ready where their is space, I grow a lot of brassicas so strict rotation is useless for me. I do lime my brassica beds every year though

My old pops, used to grow the same crops in the same bed year after year and all was fine

So also pointless asking me Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Admin's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Bren Online
I move my brassicas to the next bed along then everything else gets slotted in where there’s space. Seems to work out fine for me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bren's post:
  • Veggie

Broadway Offline
(15-11-2020, 07:08 PM)Admin Wrote: To be honest i have never bothered, different books will say differing things too. I just plant whats ready where their is space, I grow a lot of brassicas so strict rotation is useless for me. I do lime my brassica beds every year though

My old pops, used to grow the same crops in the same bed year after year and all was fine

So also pointless asking me Smile
Not at all, anywhere theres a space does for meSmile

JJB Online
Moonraker
My rotation:
I have two 15 x 25ft ish patches which are divided into halves mentally, beds are then 1,2 3,4, duh!
I don't grow cabbages or potatoes, and the carrots have to be alongside the kale for netting purposes. So each year whatever was in bed 1, gets shoved to bed 2, and so on. As for follow on crops. Where there's a space, fill it, until weather deteriorates then give up. I'm not a good winter gardener. So Danny perhaps you're a tad over- thinking it. Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Broadway Offline
(16-11-2020, 10:12 AM)JJB Wrote: My rotation:
I have two 15 x 25ft ish patches which are divided into halves mentally, beds are then 1,2 3,4,  duh!
I don't grow cabbages or potatoes, and the carrots have to be alongside the kale for netting purposes.  So each year whatever was in bed 1, gets shoved to bed 2, and so on.  As for follow on crops.  Where there's a space, fill it, until weather deteriorates then give up.  I'm not a good winter gardener.  So Danny perhaps you're a tad over- thinking it. Smile
Hiya JJB

I was but not anymore, I like the "where there's space" approachSmile

I've not really done much over winter before but would like to have some crops in next year. I will also have a number of perennial plants so will be interested in how they get on.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
If you've had a disease in one part of the garden - like onion white rot, don't plant onions there again - at least for a few years.
If you think you should be "rotating" crops, don't plant the same thing in the same place every year. That's about it
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB