Succession sowing/planting?
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
At risk of boring you, I follow the Roots, Shoots, Fruits and Leaves sowing plan, which means that I sow the same type of things every 4th week.
In Roots week, I sow carrots, beetroot and radish, usually all year round - in the GH or in pots in the cold months and outdoors in spring.
Shoots week is onions, leeks and for things with funny names - like the Oriental veg.
Fruits are peas, beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, courgettes .....
Leaves are lettuce, brassicas and any other leafy things.

Basically, the edible part of the plant dictates which week it falls into.
Once I've sown some seeds from a packet, the remaining seeds go in a Box, ready for the next 4 week session. I stretch the recommended sowing times usually by a month ahead and a month afterwards - if it works, great, if it doesn't, I try again 4 weeks later.

I vary the varieties to match the seasons - like brassicas for spring, summer and autumn.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Mamzie, PyreneesPlot

Broadway Offline
(12-11-2020, 11:03 AM)Veggie Wrote: At risk of boring you, I follow the Roots, Shoots, Fruits and Leaves sowing plan, which means that I sow the same type of things every 4th week.
In Roots week, I sow carrots, beetroot and radish, usually all year round - in the GH or in pots in the cold months and outdoors in spring.
Shoots week is onions, leeks and for things with funny names - like the Oriental veg.
Fruits are peas, beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, courgettes .....
Leaves are lettuce, brassicas and any other leafy things.

Basically, the edible part of the plant dictates which week it falls into.
Once I've sown some seeds from a packet, the remaining seeds go in a Box, ready for the next 4 week session. I stretch the recommended sowing times usually by a month ahead and a month afterwards - if it works, great, if it doesn't, I try again 4 weeks later.

I vary the varieties to match the seasons - like brassicas for spring, summer and autumn.
Not boring at all, sounds very logical VeggieSmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Mamzie, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I'm only saying its Boring because I've repeated it so many times in so many places. It works for me, even though I often bend my own "rules".
I don't do spreadsheets - too much like work. I've set a reminder on my computer that tells me each day which week I'm in - that's my limit of my organisation.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Mamzie

Broadway Offline
(12-11-2020, 10:45 AM)Broadway Wrote:
(12-11-2020, 10:42 AM)JJB Wrote:
(12-11-2020, 10:19 AM)Broadway Wrote:
(12-11-2020, 10:16 AM)JJB Wrote: Thanks for asking that Danny.  I'm hoping to religiously successional sow next season.  Usually I fill up the ground asap and have no room to sow further.  I was wondering at what intervals to sow  CFB and DFBs and maybe courgettes.  Thanks PP for the info.
Hiya JJB

Snap hence the question, lets see how we get on and remind one anotherSmileSmile

Sounds like a plan Danny, what particular crops are you thinking of spacing out?  I'm thinking DFB, CFB, courgettes,  sweetcorn and the occasional lettuce (always grow too many at once). I get too enthusiastic about sowing too many of everything come the spring.  I must  exercise restraint!
I'll come back to you on that one! Suffice to say I'm planning 16 mini RB's and 3 large ones.
Hiya JJB

Scanning my list I reckon I'll try and space out the following, any bloopers??

Lettuce, Beetroot, Carrots, Pak Choi, Spinach, Chard, Turnip, Swede, Radish, Spring Onions, Kholrabi.

I will also sow different types to cabbage to try and get me through much of the year. A tad ambitious as I've never grown them before, never had the spaceSmile

Not sure about the beans and courgettes, are you spacing to get a later crop or to prevent a glut?
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • JJB, Mamzie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Danny, probably both, to extend the season an prevent glut. Both seem good plans. My CFBs were over well before I expected and I'd like to have two flushes. Last lockdown's lovely spring weather got me sowing far too early. Then with sweetcorn it's more to prevent a glut, and not waste any. They don't stay on the plants for long. I don't normally freeze them so we're eating cobs every night just to keep up. I'm not bothered with carrots as the crop stays in the ground quite happily, the same with beetroot. I've given up on cabbages but do grow kale, there again that seems to stand happily so staggering isn't that important. I think my plan is to sow things indoors for earliness, then sow direct at time of planting out the earlies for the next stage with maybe even a third sowing, but that's getting a bit ambitious. Two will do, except for lettuce. There again it depends on the weather as always.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Mamzie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Re CFB's - I sowed DFB's end of February and grew them in the GH. The following month, I sowed more DFBs and CFBs in modules and planted them both outside. the GHG DFBs were first to crop, them the outside DFBs, then the CFBs. Later in the year I sowed a few more DFBs for the GH.
Runners were also sown in 2 batches, but later in the year. I'm picking the last RBs now.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mamzie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Thanks Veggie. I will sow beans in GH with a view to transplanting them outside as I normally do, I don't plan to grow them in GH though, there won't be room!
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Grow them in big pots that you can move outside if you really need the space!

I grew mine in a space 2 GH panes wide by 1 pane deep (4' x 2'). Found a photo from 1st June when I was picking beans. Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mamzie

Broadway Offline
(12-11-2020, 07:53 PM)Veggie Wrote: Re CFB's  - I sowed DFB's end of February and grew them in the GH. The following month, I sowed more DFBs and CFBs in modules and planted them both outside. the GHG DFBs were first to crop, them the outside DFBs, then the CFBs. Later in the year I sowed a few more DFBs for the GH.
Runners were also sown in 2 batches, but later in the year. I'm picking the last RBs now.
Hi Veggie

Regards the DFB's and CFB's in modules, did you leave them in the GH for a period of time before planting out?
[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • JJB, Mamzie, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I don't plant them out until they're sturdy plants with a good root system - I don't sow many seeds direct.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB