Succession sowing/planting?
Broadway Offline
Morning Folks

I’m just curious what people do regards succession sowing/planting, if you do anything that is?

For clarity  I’m not talking about one crop following another I’m talking about the same crop.

Do you sow the same variety at different intervals or different varieties with differing maturity dates?
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • JJB, Mamzie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
This is what I do - from about late Feb until October I'll sow things like lettuces, turnips, beetroots every four to six weeks or so. Radishes every three weeks spring and autumn (they just bolt or get destroyed by flea beetle in high summer) French beans get sown three or four times a year depending on how well the earlier sowing are doing.
Is this what you were thinking?

Edited to add lettuces varieties change sightly as the seasons change as using more hardy ones at the ends of the year but in general the varieties stay much the same!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Mamzie, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Thanks for asking that Danny. I'm hoping to religiously successional sow next season. Usually I fill up the ground asap and have no room to sow further. I was wondering at what intervals to sow CFB and DFBs and maybe courgettes. Thanks PP for the info.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Mamzie, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Broadway Offline
(12-11-2020, 10:00 AM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: This is what I do - from about late Feb until October I'll sow things like lettuces, turnips, beetroots every four to six weeks or so. Radishes every three weeks spring and autumn (they just bolt or get destroyed by flea beetle in high summer) French beans get sown three or four times a year depending on how well the earlier sowing are doing.
Is this what you were thinking?

Edited to add lettuces varieties change sightly as the seasons change as using more hardy ones at the ends of the year but in general the varieties stay much the same!
Thanks PP

Exactly what I was thinking / after, I need to get into a routineSmile
  • Mamzie, PyreneesPlot

Broadway Offline
(12-11-2020, 10:16 AM)JJB Wrote: Thanks for asking that Danny.  I'm hoping to religiously successional sow next season.  Usually I fill up the ground asap and have no room to sow further.  I was wondering at what intervals to sow  CFB and DFBs and maybe courgettes.  Thanks PP for the info.
Hiya JJB

Snap hence the question, lets see how we get on and remind one anotherSmileSmile
  • JJB, Mamzie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I have a large excel spreadsheet with all my crops listed down the left and the weeks along the top, I then fill in what needs to be sown each week and how (direct sown, modules under heat, modules outside, seed trays ....). On a Sunday I scribble down a list of everything that needs sowing that week as part of my To Do list.

I like spreadsheets, lists, control and order in my planning, a total contrast to my garden which is full of weeds (wildflowers), over grown plants and random scruffy areas!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • JJB, Mamzie, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I should but I don't. Rolleyes Maybe carrots, but that was two different types at two different times. Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Mamzie, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(12-11-2020, 10:19 AM)Broadway Wrote:
(12-11-2020, 10:16 AM)JJB Wrote: Thanks for asking that Danny.  I'm hoping to religiously successional sow next season.  Usually I fill up the ground asap and have no room to sow further.  I was wondering at what intervals to sow  CFB and DFBs and maybe courgettes.  Thanks PP for the info.
Hiya JJB

Snap hence the question, lets see how we get on and remind one anotherSmileSmile

Sounds like a plan Danny, what particular crops are you thinking of spacing out?  I'm thinking DFB, CFB, courgettes,  sweetcorn and the occasional lettuce (always grow too many at once). I get too enthusiastic about sowing too many of everything come the spring.  I must  exercise restraint!
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Mamzie, Veggie

Broadway Offline
(12-11-2020, 10:42 AM)JJB Wrote:
(12-11-2020, 10:19 AM)Broadway Wrote:
Hiya JJB

Sounds like a plan Danny, what particular crops are you thinking of spacing out?  I'm thinking DFB, CFB, courgettes,  sweetcorn and the occasional lettuce (always grow too many at once). I get too enthusiastic about sowing too many of everything come the spring.  I must  exercise restraint!
I'll come back to you on that one! Suffice to say I'm planning 16 mini RB's and 3 large ones.
[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • JJB, Mamzie, Veggie

Broadway Offline
(12-11-2020, 10:32 AM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: I have a large excel spreadsheet with all my crops listed down the left and the weeks along the top, I then fill in what needs to be sown each week and how (direct sown, modules under heat, modules outside, seed trays ....). On a Sunday I scribble down a list of everything that needs sowing that week as part of my To Do list.

I like spreadsheets, lists, control and order in my planning, a total contrast to my garden which is full of weeds (wildflowers), over grown plants and random scruffy areas!
Ha was filling my spreadsheet in yesterday, I've always had a 2nd sowing column but can never remember filling it in Confused

I love a list, work, home, play Big Grin  Already ticked a couple off for today.
  • JJB, PyreneesPlot