How do you choose?
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
How do you choose what flowers / shrubs / trees to grow?  
I lean more towards bee & butterfly friendly. But then I also go with colour & shape. I’ve just learned that there’s a plant called angels fishing rod  Cool . I now MUST have one for my garden. That’s just the coolest name. So like with a lot of the veg I try for the first time, I’m drawn by the name as well Rolleyes .
I don’t do anything sensible like choose a plant for its size or suitable for the Mull climate or the location I want to grow it. 
Am I the only one that does this ?
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Most of the stuff I grow isn't an active choice - its whatever comes my way, hopefully free. Wink
I agree about the traditional interesting names, like angels fishing rod but some of the names the seed companies give their new varieties are a bit suspect - tempting without substance.
I've sometimes though of growing a "menagerie" - plants named after animals, even dandelions!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Do it  Big Grin . That would be brilliant. Tiger lily & red shank ( pain in the ar$e wild flower & a wader ). Dog violet & dog wood. Catnip. I’ll keep thinking    Wink  Big Grin  Rolleyes .
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Jay, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Its a bit late for me to start from scratch - you however? Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Think I’ll stick to my very random method of plant choice. I’m sure there will be a few with animal names amongst them  Big Grin . Definitely not the thug red shank though    Wink .
  • Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
For buying -
Is it on offer?
Is it in the sad & reduced section?
Is it cold (less important) and drought (more important) resistant?
What does it give the wildlife?
Have I got room for it?

For give aways - almost always yes please, which is why I have lemon balm, mint, primroses and alpine strawberries rampaging though my herb garden!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Does it need cossetting/ digging up to overwinter?
That's why dahlias and geraniums have to tough it outdoors here. If they're don't make it to spring, its their fault, not mine. Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Mamzie, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Agree with that whole heartedly. No pampering will be taking place. Deal with it plant  Big Grin .
  • Veggie

Jimny14 Offline
I'm quite happy to let everything get on and fight it out in the garden. If anything arrives that I dont recognise I tend to let it grow on until I can get an ID. As long at is doesn't go to seed without knowing what it is. If I like it and it is controllable it can stay. If it's a gift it gets planted in the most suitable space I've got, if it's free it get planted where there is space. If its cuttings they get put in a variety of places (different situations) and then removed if too many take and they risk taking over.
If they req lifting, fleecing, baby sitting it doesn't happen, I dont currently have time to baby sit the garden. (I occasionally net fruit bushes but that's about it).
[-] The following 2 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Admin Offline
The Boss
I am not a plant or shrub lover, however I do like Cytisus battandieri, smells like pineapple and bees love it
[-] The following 1 user Likes Admin's post:
  • Small chilli