Garden And Gossip Forums
How do you choose? - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: Flowers and Ornamentals (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Forum: All about Flowers and Ornamentals (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: How do you choose? (/showthread.php?tid=468)

Pages: 1 2 3

How do you choose? - Small chilli - 12-08-2020

How do you choose what flowers / shrubs / trees to grow?  
I lean more towards bee & butterfly friendly. But then I also go with colour & shape. I’ve just learned that there’s a plant called angels fishing rod  Cool . I now MUST have one for my garden. That’s just the coolest name. So like with a lot of the veg I try for the first time, I’m drawn by the name as well Rolleyes .
I don’t do anything sensible like choose a plant for its size or suitable for the Mull climate or the location I want to grow it. 
Am I the only one that does this ?

RE: How do you choose? - Veggie - 12-08-2020

Most of the stuff I grow isn't an active choice - its whatever comes my way, hopefully free. Wink
I agree about the traditional interesting names, like angels fishing rod but some of the names the seed companies give their new varieties are a bit suspect - tempting without substance.
I've sometimes though of growing a "menagerie" - plants named after animals, even dandelions!

RE: How do you choose? - Small chilli - 12-08-2020

Do it  Big Grin . That would be brilliant. Tiger lily & red shank ( pain in the ar$e wild flower & a wader ). Dog violet & dog wood. Catnip. I’ll keep thinking    Wink  Big Grin  Rolleyes .

Its a bit late for me to start from scratch - you however? Wink

Think I’ll stick to my very random method of plant choice. I’m sure there will be a few with animal names amongst them  Big Grin . Definitely not the thug red shank though    Wink .

RE: How do you choose? - PyreneesPlot - 12-08-2020

For buying -
Is it on offer?
Is it in the sad & reduced section?
Is it cold (less important) and drought (more important) resistant?
What does it give the wildlife?
Have I got room for it?

For give aways - almost always yes please, which is why I have lemon balm, mint, primroses and alpine strawberries rampaging though my herb garden!

Does it need cossetting/ digging up to overwinter?
That's why dahlias and geraniums have to tough it outdoors here. If they're don't make it to spring, its their fault, not mine. Smile

Agree with that whole heartedly. No pampering will be taking place. Deal with it plant  Big Grin .

RE: How do you choose? - Jimny14 - 13-08-2020

I'm quite happy to let everything get on and fight it out in the garden. If anything arrives that I dont recognise I tend to let it grow on until I can get an ID. As long at is doesn't go to seed without knowing what it is. If I like it and it is controllable it can stay. If it's a gift it gets planted in the most suitable space I've got, if it's free it get planted where there is space. If its cuttings they get put in a variety of places (different situations) and then removed if too many take and they risk taking over.
If they req lifting, fleecing, baby sitting it doesn't happen, I dont currently have time to baby sit the garden. (I occasionally net fruit bushes but that's about it).

RE: How do you choose? - Admin - 13-08-2020

I am not a plant or shrub lover, however I do like Cytisus battandieri, smells like pineapple and bees love it