Honeybees
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
According to the BBKA an average hive will produce 25lbs of surplus honey (that's surplus after you've left 20-30lbs of honey in the hive to feed the bees over winter). https://www.bbka.org.uk/faqs/honey-faqs
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Moth, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Not getting bees. The bloke has changed his mind
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
What a bummer! Can't like your post. Maybe though, now that you've got yourself mentally prepared for bees, you can find some elsewhere.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’m surprised how disappointed I am! I’ve been very apprehensive about getting them because I’m worried about being responsible for so many tiny lives. Also the cost. The cost in this case was pretty much cancelled out. As it turns out, to good to be true.

Apparently he didn’t want to get rid of them but a neighbour got stung. Then he found somewhere else to keep them.
I’d of thought you try to find new grounds for them. Before you advertise them!

Bobs very disappointed! Especially as he’s spent most of the day (up until the phone call!) out in the torrential hissing rain building a frame for the hives to sit on securely and fenced to keep dogs & bees safe.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Maybe join the local beekeeping group and try to get some hands on experience with handling the bees. Make it known that you have the perfect site for them and would like to keep bees of your own. Offer to help with catching a swarm that you could have next summer. Make yourselves known to the beekeeping community - that's what we found helped us get started.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Bobs already there  Big Grin  ( I’m not a joiner Wink  , g&g is the only thing I’m a member of ) . He’s already been roped into help build a shed or something to do with the club. Club doesn’t get together that often as far as I can make out. And something odd has been going on recently, some disturbances in the ranks. As the one and only hive belonging to the club has recently been moved half way across the island? I’m 99% sure one of the matriarchs of the club and bee keeping in general 20+ years experience is waiting in the wings to be our (mostly bobs ) mentor. He’s been in contact with her constantly during this short time of we’re getting bees , we’re not getting bees.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I feel for you SC, you must be gutted.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(08-10-2023, 11:07 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Bobs already there  Big Grin  ( I’m not a joiner Wink  , g&g is the only thing I’m a member of ) . He’s already been roped into help build a shed or something to do with the club. Club doesn’t get together that often as far as I can make out. And something odd has been going on recently, some disturbances in the ranks. As the one and only hive belonging to the club has recently been moved half way across the island? I’m 99% sure one of the matriarchs of the club and bee keeping in general 20+ years experience is waiting in the wings to be our (mostly bobs ) mentor. He’s been in contact with her constantly during this short time of we’re getting bees , we’re not getting bees.
Well done Bob. I'm sure you'll be sorted with a colony next year with a mentor on side. 
Regarding moving the club's hive - not sure if its relevant but hives need to be moved more than 3 miles from their original position to confuse the bees. Otherwise they keep flying back to their old site. Maybe it had to be moved because there was an infection? varroa nearby.
  • JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
The real sad thing about the bees on this island. Varroa mite has only very recently been brought onto the island. They can’t prove who did it. But they have very strong suspicions. So the south end of the island is out of bounds for getting bees from. The rest of the island is free from it. But it will get to everyone eventually no doubt. Some people are so very irresponsible.

Both posting at the same time    Big Grin .

Hive moved from & to varroa free area. It might be the over 3 mile thing (over 20 ) . We could be making things up . But certain members are deliberately not mentioned    Wink .
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
That is sad. You would hope for better from beekeepers.
We had to treat our bees for varroa but it was European Foul Brood that was the worst. Two of our hives had to be destroyed by order of the Bee Inspector. It was heart breaking to watch - an after dark pouring of petrol and setting fire to the whole lot, hive, bees, honey, everything. Given that my husband had become allergic to the stings, we declared an end to our beekeeping then. We gave away our infection free colony and all of the equipment although I still have a hat and veil and gloves in case I have to deal with a swarm or wasps.
-
  • JJB, Small chilli