Honeybees
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Yesterday we went and met some honeybees Cool . We are seriously considering getting some. It was a fascinating 4 hours! Chatting with a bee keeper and seeing what hives, books & suits she recommended and trying on the different veils and jackets. 
We would have to get the native Scottish black bee. That’s one of the reasons we want bees to help preserve the species and oddly they cope much better with our climate. And we’d have to get the bees from the island bee keeping association or from colonsay  https://www.snhbs.scot/colonsay/ . Until very recently mull was one of the few place that was varroa mite free. Unfortunately someone didn’t consult with local bee association and brought infected bees on to the island    Angry . It is isolated to one area but it’s very likely it will eventually spread to the rest of the island eventually. A lot is being done to try to keep it in the one area. But it’s doubtful. 
It really was a fascinating day we learned so much. Bees really are incredible organised and intelligent creatures. And slightly bad tempered ( the one that got caught in Bobs hair was  Big Grin ) . Actually they were a lot calmer and placid than I was expecting. But she did say that the temperament can be different with each hive and with what’s happening within the hive and environmentally at different times. 
Bob wants bees next spring. I want the house liveable first, then bees. But I think honeybees will definitely be in our future.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
As luck would have it. These are the bees we meet yesterday. The next generation anyway.

https://youtu.be/-yaQq6UkS_M?si=przPebuD83yEz--t

And we spent 4 hours firing questions at Helen the white haired lady on the right at the beginning of the video.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
As you know, we used to have bees too. Loved having them in the garden.
My husband, being brought up on Winnie the Pooh, was determined to have his own "hunny" whilst I wanted chickens so when we were both made redundant (happy days) we decided to go for it. The bees were never a problem although we didn't let the dogs near the hive entrance. Also the hives were nowhere near the washing line (bees poo when they leave the hive and you don't want that on your clean clothes!).
Bob or you could easily make the hives and stands. We wore zipup front white overalls, tucked into wellies (cheaper than a complete bee suit). I had a veil that fitted over a solar topee (which I had!). He had one that had a mesh front and bits that went under your arms to keep it in place, inside the overalls. Elbow length gloves.
I can already see honey and wax candles on your sales barrow.Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(24-08-2023, 09:44 AM)Veggie Wrote: As you know, we used to have bees too. Loved having them in the garden.
My husband, being brought up on Winnie the Pooh, was determined to have his own "hunny" whilst I wanted chickens so when we were both made redundant (happy days) we decided to go for it. The bees were never a problem although we didn't let the dogs near the hive entrance. Also the hives were nowhere near the washing line (bees poo when they leave the hive and you don't want that on your clean clothes!).
Bob or you could easily make the hives and stands. We wore zipup front white overalls, tucked into wellies (cheaper than a complete bee suit). I had a veil that fitted over a solar topee (which I had!). He had one that had a mesh front and bits that went under your arms to keep it in place, inside the overalls. Elbow length gloves.
I can already see honey and wax candles on your sales barrow.Big Grin
Definitely going to fence the hives off from dogs. Very good point about washing. Thank you hadn’t thought of that. Bob used one of the veils that went under his arms yesterday. Only thing Helen had that would fit him. She only took the hive top off and the crown board just to show how the hive tool is used and what the bees were doing. She didn’t pull any of the frames out as we weren’t fully suited. The smell of heather honey was amazing when she took the lid off. 
Did you get stung often Veggie?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Only stung a couple of times, my husband was stung more times as he was more hands on with them Sadly, he became allergic to the stings and that was the main reason why we gave them up.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
The bee shed in the video is a good idea to give the hives some protection against the elements. An Austrian lady, who was one of our mentors, had them in her garden shed and she also put a hive in her attic, leaving the rooflight open for them to fly out! Hildegarde was an amazing lady. Went there one day and she was making some sort of alcohol from a still, bubbling away on the stove - I was sworn to secrecy!. She's also the lady who wore her skirts inside out, whilst working, to keep them clean and turned them the right way out when going out. Confused me no end.
You get very sticky and spotted with yellow stuff when working with bees. Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Veggie, knowing your ability to find things at very good prices and your love of books. Your mission if you choose to except it  Big Grin . Find the book.  Plant for Bees. A guide to the plants that benefit the bees of the British isles. By Kirk, W.D.J and Howes, F.N. 
If you can find it for less than £35. I’ll be very impressed. I’ve spent most of the morning looking for it. 
It’s one of the books we were looking at yesterday. It was very good and I found the layout very SC friendly.
  • Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
After many many more hours trying to find the book. I’ve just thought sod it, I want it. I’m now awaiting delivery  Big Grin .
It pretty much doubles as a gardening book anyway, so how could I not  Big Grin .
  • Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
So after dodging the bee bullet, with the very sensible argument of. I don’t see the point in spending £500+ on bees and all the equipment, when we’ve got a house to finish. That bullet ricocheted off something and is now heading straight for me at very high speed! Someone needing to re home their 2 bee hives, bees and lots of other related stuff. Posted on the local buy & sell group with the dreaded phrase contact me for details. Obviously Bob did. Later on in the evening. Bob suddenly pipes up with guess how much he wants for the the bees? So I went with £800. I was very very wrong. 6 jars of honey a year is the price! Bob is collecting them on Sunday.
[-] The following 6 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, JJB, Moth, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Fantastic, SC & Bob. Big Grin In my experience, beekeepers are a generous lot, like gardeners. We were given our first hive and colony, bought the second one for next to nothing and built 2 more hives to house swarms that we were taught to catch by other beekeepers. The most expensive items were the clothing (so we improvised) and a smoker. Also buying proper honey jars so that we could sell the honey. IIRC we used to get abut 60 pounds of honey from a hive each year so that's a lot of jars and labels. Plus the wax to make candles, polish etc. ..... and Bob can turn some Honey Dippers to sell with the honey..........and make model beehives to keep the honey jar in. I'll find mine and take a photo.

Sorry, I missed your book challenge. Do you have it now? Is it good?
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, Moth, Small chilli