Hotbins
JJB Offline
Moonraker
Perhaps I was a bit rash wanting to be like Mr Greedy Confused
Rest assured all bodily functions are as good as age allows, no medics required.  Big Grin
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Spec Offline
I think I have finally worked out how to make a cheap hot bin, I have a 200lt. water butt which I rarely use, so have decided to use that, I don't want to cut the water butt as I might need to use it for water again, so it will be filled right from the start, that way I will up end it when the top looks like compost, but to make the hot bin I will cut down a water bucket to make a support ring for a perforated base plate made from the side of an old air pot, the base plate will be sit above the spicket which will allow me to drain off any juice, I will sit the butt on a base of insulation board which I have aquiered, to insulate the butt I will have to buy some flexible insulation, I intend using a foam exercise mat which will cost about £4 but I should be able to cut a hole in it to fit round the spicket then wrap round the butt, once I fill it I will insulate the top with more insulation board, so now just have to save up for the exercise mat
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Broadway Offline
(01-04-2022, 11:34 PM)Spec Wrote: I think I have finally worked out how to make a cheap hot bin, I have a 200lt. water butt which I rarely use, so have decided to use that, I don't want to cut the water butt as I might need to use it for water again, so it will be filled right from the start, that way I will up end it when the top looks like compost, but to make the hot bin I will cut down a water bucket to make a support ring for a perforated base plate made from the side of an old air pot, the base plate will be sit above the spicket which will allow me to drain off any juice, I will sit the butt on a base of insulation board which I have aquiered, to insulate the butt I will have to buy some flexible insulation, I intend using a foam exercise mat which will cost about £4 but I should be able to cut a hole in it to fit round the spicket then wrap round the butt, once I fill it I will insulate the top with more insulation board, so now just have to save up for the exercise mat
Photos please Spec?Smile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • JJB

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
What happened to your "Hotbin" Danny?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Broadway Offline
(02-04-2022, 05:48 PM)Veggie Wrote: What happened to your "Hotbin" Danny?
Hot air VeggieSmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Bren, Veggie

Spec Offline

The photo's show all the materials that I will be using apart from the insulation mats, the insulation board will be cut to the size of  the base and also to use as an internal cap which to get the size required swill need to be in two halves the perforated plate bends  so can get that n quite easily and that will rest on the large flower basket which again will fit through the top with a but of a push,with all the ports in the basket there should be no problem getting the "juice" to flow once I get the mats I will staple it to the bottom piece of insulation board and glue it to the side of the butt, I think once the mats in place I will wrap it with some bubble wrap, I have some with silver backing but not sure f it will make any difference
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Scarlet

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Any ventilation, Spec?

Spec Offline
Apart from the lid not fitting very tight nothing else at the moment, I will need to see how that goes and if necessary I will fit a vent

Spec Offline
            I now have my bin set up, unfortunately I didn't get      all the photos I wanted while making up the bin but the photos show material used and finished bin I also have a insulated board below the lid to hopefully hold in the heat, but having difficulty loading photos that I want so not going to risk losing them allRolleyes
If the temperature doesn't start rising tomorrow I will try adding a sealed container of hot water
[-] The following 4 users Like Spec's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Hope it works, Spec. Wink
My Hotbin gives off steam from the top vent when its at full temperature - that's why I asked if you were putting a vent in.