Garden And Gossip Forums
Turnips - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: From seed to plant (edibles) (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Everything Brassicas (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=60)
+--- Thread: Turnips (/showthread.php?tid=219)

Pages: 1 2

Turnips - JJB - 10-06-2020

I've never grown turnips - not sure I've ever eaten one, definitely never cooked with one.  I'm aware the can go into stews but what else can you do with a turnip?  I have so many freebie pkts of turnip seed, maybe you lot can convince me to grow some.

RE: Turnips - Bren - 10-06-2020

There's lots of ways to use Turnips, mash them in with either potatoes or carrots, they're nice in a gratin along with some greens, they make decent chips, grate them some potatoes add onion and make fritters.
I one tried them grated raw in a salad coleslaw but I wasn't to keen of that.

RE: Turnips - doublyjonah - 10-06-2020

I'll be following. I just bought some turnip seed as we like them in stew, but no other ideas. Thanks, JJB and Bren Smile

RE: Turnips - Can the Man - 10-06-2020

Are we talking turnip or swede here ?

In Ireland we call a swede a turnip, we don’t generally do those little white things most people in the UK call turnips.

RE: Turnips - JJB - 10-06-2020

I'm talking about the little round ish purpley white things. I happen to love the orangey swede, mashed, in stews etc. Never grown the swedes successfully though. Aren't swedes called neeps in Scotland?

RE: Turnips - Can the Man - 10-06-2020

(10-06-2020, 09:02 PM)JJB Wrote: I'm talking about the little round ish purpley white things.  I happen to love the orangey swede, mashed, in stews etc.  Never grown the swedes successfully though.  Aren't  swedes called neeps in Scotland?
Yep and the neep comes from a pronouncement of turnip - tur neep Smile

RE: Turnips - Vinny - 11-06-2020

We just have turnips (unmashed) boiled as a veg. They melt in your mouth. Later in the year I also sow Mooli which tastes just the same as Snowball/Purple top Milan turnips, but you get more bang for your bucks as they are a lot bigger. Cool

RE: Turnips - PyreneesPlot - 11-06-2020

Steam until just tender, drain then return to the pan with a little butter and sugar and cook until they caramelize a little. Scrummy.
Curry - fry tomatoes with grated ginger, tumeric, gr. coriander & cumin, add sliced turips, salt to taste, loads of fresh coriander and water, cook until the turnips are soft and the sauce reduced. It is based on a Madhur Jaffrey recipe and she also adds mint, but I prefer without.

Edited to add that these are one of the veggies I sow every two weeks or so to keep the supply going.

RE: Turnips - toomanytommytoes - 11-06-2020

We like them sliced thinly in a salad. The variety we are growing, Tokyo Cross, tastes a bit like melon to me.

RE: Turnips - JJB - 11-06-2020

You are all definitely tempting me. I have a space under some insect mesh where I've got fed up with broccoli raab and pulled them out, so turnips might be an experiment. Thanks for the tips. How big do you let them grow to, or does it depend on variety? I shall have a look at what seeds I've got.