Turnips
JJB Offline
Moonraker
I've never grown turnips - not sure I've ever eaten one, definitely never cooked with one.  I'm aware the can go into stews but what else can you do with a turnip?  I have so many freebie pkts of turnip seed, maybe you lot can convince me to grow some.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, doublyjonah

Bren Offline
There's lots of ways to use Turnips, mash them in with either potatoes or carrots, they're nice in a gratin along with some greens, they make decent chips, grate them some potatoes add onion and make fritters.
I one tried them grated raw in a salad coleslaw but I wasn't to keen of that.
[-] The following 4 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, doublyjonah, JJB, toomanytommytoes

doublyjonah Offline
I'll be following. I just bought some turnip seed as we like them in stew, but no other ideas. Thanks, JJB and Bren Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Are we talking turnip or swede here ?

In Ireland we call a swede a turnip, we don’t generally do those little white things most people in the UK call turnips.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I'm talking about the little round ish purpley white things. I happen to love the orangey swede, mashed, in stews etc. Never grown the swedes successfully though. Aren't swedes called neeps in Scotland?
Greetings from Salisbury

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(10-06-2020, 09:02 PM)JJB Wrote: I'm talking about the little round ish purpley white things.  I happen to love the orangey swede, mashed, in stews etc.  Never grown the swedes successfully though.  Aren't  swedes called neeps in Scotland?
Yep and the neep comes from a pronouncement of turnip - tur neep Smile
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 2 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
We just have turnips (unmashed) boiled as a veg. They melt in your mouth. Later in the year I also sow Mooli which tastes just the same as Snowball/Purple top Milan turnips, but you get more bang for your bucks as they are a lot bigger. Cool
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 5 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, doublyjonah, JJB, toomanytommytoes

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Steam until just tender, drain then return to the pan with a little butter and sugar and cook until they caramelize a little. Scrummy.
Curry - fry tomatoes with grated ginger, tumeric, gr. coriander & cumin, add sliced turips, salt to taste, loads of fresh coriander and water, cook until the turnips are soft and the sauce reduced. It is based on a Madhur Jaffrey recipe and she also adds mint, but I prefer without.

Edited to add that these are one of the veggies I sow every two weeks or so to keep the supply going.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 5 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, doublyjonah, JJB, toomanytommytoes

toomanytommytoes Offline
We like them sliced thinly in a salad. The variety we are growing, Tokyo Cross, tastes a bit like melon to me.
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
You are all definitely tempting me. I have a space under some insect mesh where I've got fed up with broccoli raab and pulled them out, so turnips might be an experiment. Thanks for the tips. How big do you let them grow to, or does it depend on variety? I shall have a look at what seeds I've got.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man