The garden from scratch
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Its very daisy like, roots in clumps. Not easy in paving cracks but OK in soil.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Arabis or cerastium (snow in summer) they're rockery plants primarily, cerastium sprawls all over the place so the deer might keep it in check.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Small chilli

Bren Offline
Oregano self seeds everywhere including   walls, gaps in pavers  even found some in the GH border.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bren's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(23-05-2022, 09:29 AM)JJB Wrote: Arabis or cerastium (snow in summer) they're rockery plants primarily, cerastium sprawls all over the place so the deer might keep it in check.
After a look, that’s also a very good possibility. I’ll have to find some seeds of that too. Thank you.

(23-05-2022, 09:30 AM)Bren Wrote: Oregano self seeds everywhere including   walls, gaps in pavers  even found some in the GH border.
Yeah mine does in the veggie garden, not sure it’d actually get change to. But I’ll definitely try it. If nothing else the next lot of venison might have a nice herby taste  Wink
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
I love erigeron. I've only just bought some, as seeds didn't germinate for me on several occasions and I absolutely love them. They're so cheerful Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
My last lot of sacrificial plants didn’t make it. So I was thinking. Maybe go with what is already there. Just more and different colours. Which is foxgloves.
Ok so here is the bank in question.

You can see where the fence will go because we’ve put the corner / strainer posts in ( the far post is just left of the holly tree) . So the whole bank will be vulnerable to wildlife ( and tourist  Big Grin ) .

As you can see there’s not a lot of soil! It’s mostly rock and rhododendron roots . But foxgloves are doing well.

I’d prefer low growing things like your suggestions. Maybe a mix . Maybe they’ll have a better chance once the fences up and the bank is less execrable from the road side.
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I would go with foxgloves and sweet rocket which will both self seed. Why low growing??

Nepeta, is a thug in my garden but it looks amazing - I don't think deer eat sage?

Stinking hellebore - they will spread and lily of the valley with foxgloves is what I grow under my hawthorn tree - it looks after itself
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'm just coming back after being in the garden - it's too hot out there already... anemones! Deer don't eat those I don't think...and they spread, and the flowers are lovely. They are also in my bed with the foxgloves.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Staked out my new veggie garden today. 10m x 25m. It’s going to be tight to fit everything into this space. I have some more measurements to take & some drawing / scribbling to do.
  • Broadway, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
That's the size of a standard allotment :-
An allotment is traditionally measured in rods (perches or poles), an old measurement dating back to Anglo-Saxon times. 10 poles is the accepted size of an allotment, the equivalent of 250 square metres or about the size of a doubles tennis court.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Small chilli