General feeding practices (veg)
Broadway Offline
Morning Folks

Following on from the recent  "Feeding garlic and onions" thread I wondered if people follow a regular feeding regime for all of their veg?

I still consider myself new to all this growing veg malarkey and to date my feeding has been haphazard.

My assumption is a monthly feed with whatever you can lay your hands on?

Do the likes of growmore/chicken pellets really need working in or can you just scatter and water?
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I'm in the haphazard camp. BFB gets scattered early spring in the hope it will work it's way in, but sometimes gets raked in. Pellets at planting time in the hole. I find they need a bit of water to dissolve them if they are on the surface but more often than not let the rain do that. GH gets fed rather more regularly but I've been known to forget. Not being disciplined enough to experiment with a control, I've no idea whether what I do could be better or not. Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I feed weekly. Different things get different feed.
Same as you don’t feed a lion & squirrel the same thing. There dietary needs are different  Wink .

If you want your growmore & chicken pellets to work properly, work them in.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB

toomanytommytoes Offline
I just follow the recommendations on the packaging, which for BFB is 140g/m2 before planting then 70g/m2 for subsequent top dressings. The packaging normally says use every 4 - 6 weeks but usually I only apply it once in the spring then maybe again in summer for greedy plants like brassicas/squash/sweetcorn. Compost and mulch also adds a lot of nutrients, Charles Dowding doesn't seem to use any fertiliser for example.

In pots I use ~5g BFB per litre of compost. For hungry plants like tomatoes I feed weekly with soluble fertiliser after first fruit set.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'm in the feed the soil, not the plant camp.
If I remember I put some chicken manure pellets in the planting hole for beans & courgettes and I water the tomatoes/cucumbers in pots with some sort of liquid feed - las year it was fish pond water and seaweed feed. I can't leave chicken manure pellets on the ground because the dogs eat them!
I throw wood ash around the fruit bushes and trees and onions.
Otherwise,nothing..
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
I'm with Veggie in the "feed the soil" camp. I mostly only use specific feeds on container-grown plants, because the limited amount of compost means that nutrients get used up more quickly. For those, I generally use organic seaweed-based feeds, including a higher potash one for tomatoes, etc.

My new raised beds all have a thick layer of fresh compost at the moment, but I'll be mulching them with home-made compost and worm compost next year. I generally have small patches of different veggies growing alongside one another, so the idea of feeding individual plants would be pretty pointless anyway.
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man

Broadway Offline
Thanks for all your replies folksSmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

Spec Offline
I add seaweed to the garden which helps feed the soil, but I also give everything that I have to water a weak feed at every watering
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • Can the Man