Veggie's random garden
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've made myself a "seat" - some may think its a toadstool!
Its 2 rounds of an ash tree, stacked one on top of the other and, because its circular, I can face any direction when sitting on it.
You'll have to wait until tomorrow for a photo - try not to let it keep you awake. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I can't sit and read in the garden either, but can sit and just watch life for hours, especially on the bench by the pond!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller

I took these photos yesterday to shame myself into doing some hacking and weeding - there are gooseberries and other fruit bushes in there but its too painful to push your way in to pick them.
Today, I've cleared my way in but still more to do before its easily accessible. 
In my defence, a blackbird raised a brood or two in this area last year and I left her in peace, to raise her babies and feed them fresh fruit. I haven't seen her there this year, but just in case, I've waited.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Proserpina, Small chilli

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
If the blackbird is in there, she will be eyeing up those gooseberries and definitely red currants, if any.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
The redcurrants have already been stripped - they're working on the jostaberries at the moment. I like to give them a mixed diet!!
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, Mark_Riga, mcdood, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
My back garden has 3 parts, closest to the house is a patch of "lawn", the GHs some flowers & shrubs - nothing very exciting!
The next bit is the original 28 bed area - fruit trees, fruit bushes and a mix of shrubs, flowers, all in the shade of mature oak and ash trees, both in the garden and in the neighbours' gardens.
The third, furthest part is more open, where the veggies grow.
I've been rethinking the middle bit where all the beds used to be edged with logs. Over time the logs have rotted and the edges become blurred, beds merged and reshaped. I'm moving towards getting rid of all the notional beds on the basis that there are no edged beds in woodland and paths are created by footfall, usually on the most direct routes.. I've been raking out the grass on the paths (to save on mowing) and my vague plan is to eliminate all the grass in the middle bit, especially the bits that have crept into the "beds". Also all the montbretia and vinca. I'm going to start afresh with a few key paths and clumps of plants in between, with enough space to wander wherever you want without feeling that you should "stay off the bed" and stick to the path".
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Veggie I think yours and P's idea of gardening are both diametrically opposite. He would have conniption fit at your ideas Big Grin don't forget before and after pics. How long do you think this grand plan is going to take?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I had to duckduck "conniption fit" as I thought it might mean "inspired"Wink

"A conniption fit is a spontaneous outburst of anger or frustration, usually precipitated by an act of stupidity or neglect. Wild animation, gesticulations, and flailing of limbs often accompanies said outburst, adding visual flavor to the experience."

Can we have photos of P's reaction please? Big Grin
This grand plan will take as long as it takes before I dream up another plan!!
A friend of mine used to drop in, ask what the plan was today? then say "The Plan is No Plan". He knew me too well. Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
P in the thoes of a conniption fit is a sight to behold but unfortunately not for public consumption. It would scare women, children and horses and leave grown men in tears. Big Grin
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
As I've been pulling out the logs that edge the beds I've realised that I've also been planting behind the logs, in a row - for example a row of rosemary and a row of thyme. My idea at the time would have been to make the edges more obvious but it really doesn't work with my current plan - or any plan unless its an outer boundary hedge. It was a mistake!
I'm going to turn these "rows" into clumps with more of the same plant grown alongside them - so the 5 x rosemary row may turn into a 10 rosemary roundish clump.
A single plant, or even a single row of plants, is short on effect - I'm moving toward big, bold groups that catch the eye and detract from all the weeds nearby!!

My plan for today. Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB