Veggie's random garden
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(02-06-2021, 09:00 PM)Veggie Wrote: I've been having a serious think about the garden and how I use it.

I can grow more veg of better quality in the small space of a GH than I can outdoors in a far larger area. Its not so much the protection of growing under glass, more with being easy to look after.

I can walk  into the GH and not feel overwhelmed in the way that I am in the garden, not knowing which bit to tend first - and often its the veggies growing at the far end of the garden that suffer. They also suffer when the dogs and chickens run through/eat them.

New plan - starting today -
Three areas the size of large GHs have been fenced off from furry and feathered creatures. -  the pea house #62 and the bean house #63; and the patch alongside them which needs some TLC.
I'm going to grow most of my veg in these 3 GH shaped "rooms" - not feel obliged to grow lots of veg just because I have the room to do so.
Also, I'm going to mostly grow the easy things that I like to eat and not struggle to grow basics like spuds or pest-attracting brassicas, apart from a few kale. 
I'm hoping to enjoy the garden without feeling that I should be striving for self-sufficiency by making the most of every available space. Its time for an easy life.Smile
I'm all for an easy life veggie.Gardens always evolve. Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
This is my veg growing "plot" for 2021 - plus a couple of GHs for tomatoes and cucumbers.

The 3 enclosed "plots" - Peas, Beans and weeds/fruit trees.

Courgettes in bins and butts

Overflow area - maybe? 

Was raspberries maybe used for squashes.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 6 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, mcdood, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Small chilli, Vinny

JJB Online
Moonraker
Nice to see the pics V. You do realise once you've gone down this route of organised veg gardening you can no longer call yourself random. Smile
I covet those fencing panels.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Don't worry, there'll be plenty of randomness going on elsewhere.Wink

I had some of the heavy duty fencing already (for a chicken pen that they just flew out of!) and some of the freeby stuff matched it, but is a bit higher. Still able to pin them together.
The lightweight fencing is "new" and I have more of it if I need to enclose another small bed.
The chooks weren't impressed. Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
"I'm hoping to enjoy the garden without feeling that I should be striving for self-sufficiency by making the most of every available space. Its time for an easy life."

I would second this - but with the knowledge that, if push comes to shove (and the fallout from Brexit and the virus are still uncertain and we are seeing inflation in quite a few raw materials) you could be self sufficient in food, not necessarily using every available space but enough.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I can grow more than enough "easy" veg and fruit but I've always struggled with root veg, including spuds, and brassicas. A few carrots in buckets, maybe some tubs of early spuds and some kale, I can do, but growing them in the ground just leads to disappointment.
If times get hard, I'll be living on courgettes and beans. Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga, Small chilli

JJB Online
Moonraker
(04-06-2021, 11:14 PM)Veggie Wrote: I can grow more than enough "easy" veg and fruit but I've always struggled with root veg, including spuds, and brassicas. A few carrots in buckets, maybe some tubs of early spuds and some kale, I can do, but growing them in the ground just leads to disappointment.
If times get hard, I'll be living on courgettes and beans. Big Grin

P reckons during the summer that's all he gets given on his plate Smile

I must admit to feeling sometimes the garden needs so much time that we forget to enjoy it.  We're not ones for BBQs as such but like the occasional picnic without guilt that we should be 'doing' instead of sitting in the sun.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I can never "sit" in the garden - even though there are seats scattered about. If I look around I see a weed that needs pulling or an insect i don't recognise or some other distraction that gets me back on my feet.
I've tried taking a book and vowing to rea a chapter - but I can't relax, I just want to wander around and see things. I'm the same on holidays - have to be out and about looking at things, can't bear sitting on the beach.Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, MartinH, Small chilli

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(05-06-2021, 10:32 AM)Veggie Wrote: I can never "sit" in the garden - even though there are seats scattered about. If I look around I see a weed that needs pulling or an insect i don't recognise or some other distraction that gets me back on my feet.
I've tried taking a book and vowing to rea a chapter - but I can't relax, I just want to wander around and see things. I'm the same on holidays - have to be out and about looking at things, can't bear sitting on the beach.Smile
I have an old camping chair that I keep in the poly tunnel that has one of those arm holders for your tinny, I like to on a sunny day take a break from weeding or digging and sit back and enjoy a coffee or a beer or just a simple glass of iced water and relax and enjoy looking at my achievements in the garden. I have been known on occasion to actually sit in the tunnel and enjoy 25”C of warmth while listening to my music and simply nod off.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 3 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Veggie

Bren Offline
Our gardens in full sun until around 6pm so I sit  under the gazebo mostly reading  pop out do a bit of gardening then back into the shade.  I'd melt otherwise its just to hot to be out there.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Veggie