Veggie's random garden
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(22-11-2020, 07:09 PM)Veggie Wrote: While I'm here, do you remember that I divided the middle part of the garden into 30 beds - one for each day of the month - and each bed would have a fruit tree or bush, a vegetable, a herb and a flower. I've mostly done that now.
 I want to make more of the "vegetable" element next year - maybe grow some beetroot and radish (Roots), an allium (Shoots), broad beans and a courgette/squash (Fruits) and some lettuce/mustard in each bed.
All I have to do is clear enough space in each bed to fit them in...............this should keep me out of mischief for a while.Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've spent the morning at Joan's House, giving her a hand with some pruning.
Joan J lives in sheltered housing with her chum, Colin, who wears his 9 Stars with pride every year and a couple of old Vinos who still haven't reached their prime.
They have their own garden, securely fenced, but its all a bit too much for Joan and Colin to maintain, so, a couple of times a year, I pop in for a chat to see what I can do for them.
My team of helpers soon found Colin and started pecking his legs, which are gnarled and thick skinned with age. Colin wasn't impressed so I sent them out to play in the garden, clearing it of pests. Joan is very fond of the dogs and they like her too, They think she's sweet.
I've promised Joan and Colin that I'll be back soon, need to keep them happy as they give me some gorgeous raspberries.
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Norfolk Grey, Scarlet, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller

Thought you might like to see where Joan and Colin live.  They were having their afternoon nap when I called so I didn't disturb them. 
Their Sheltered Housing was built on the site of 3 small properties, known as 24, 25 and 26 North Side.

As you can see, their garden needs some TLC and looks a bit of a mess at the moment. I'm not sure what their plans are for next year, they grew some spuds this year but I don't think they were very pleased with the results. Colin said they were "Too small for chips". Rolleyes
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller

(Photo taken in summer)

I popped into the Mulberry Garden today between the rain showers to check on old Ma Mulberry and her adopted children. There are lots of them scampering around, little Oca, his Chinese cousin Arti-choke and the Ali Alliums. They come from all over the world but get on so well together. All under the watchful eyes of Ma Mulberry, who spreads her arms out and embraces all the children in her care. One day, she may have children of her own but, until then, she's happy.Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Scarlet, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
VC's been on the merlot again Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Mikey, Norfolk Grey, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I hadn't touched a drop 4 hours ago when I told you about the Mulberry family. Tongue

You've accepted that I have a LIttle Shop at the end of the garden, these good people are the farmers and shopkeepers. Smile
  • JJB, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Today has not been easy! I've been evicting some of the squatters - and they're not happy!
I should never have let them stay here in the first place. But you know what's it like, a friend of a friend asks whether you know anywhere where some homeless people could stay for a short time, and, being soft hearted, you say that you have a place they can have. Its hard to resist a family like that, especially when they look at you with their bright, smiley orange faces and promise to be no trouble! 
Looks are deceptive  though!! This family have shown themselves to be very promiscuous,  in fact, I'm sure that some of their offspring are living in every garden here. Its not just them though, they've invited their friends for sleepovers and they don't know when to leave either.
Well, I've had enough, the Montbretias and their friends the Vincas are on their way out and I've been helping them to pack their bags today. You haven't seen clutter until you've seen their home. So much junk to chuck out  - going to need a bonfire to get rid of some of it!
Once they've left, there'll be an empty property in the Garden Village, though I'm sure it won't be empty for long .Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Norfolk Grey, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Had another try at persuading the Montbretia to pack their bags and move on - but they're not seeing it my way. Such a big family, some move out and more appear to take their place.

One nice surprise though - the family that live in the basement popped their heads up, said thanks for getting rid of the rowdy neighbours and agreed to come back in spring when the weather will be better. Think they said their name was Dilly. Smile Nice family - take long holidays late summer and autumn, so quiet I hadn't realised they were back.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Admin, JJB, Norfolk Grey, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Popped in to see Stanley and Victoria today at Number 5. They've lived there for years but, to be honest, time hasn't been kind to them!. They're not very productive and they place is a mess but, I can't make them homeless, especially as they have lots of foster children. I lose count of how many there are, they seem to come and go regularly.
Maybe you know Stanley and Victoria - they have lots of namesakes. Their full names are Stanley Baldwin Blackcurrant and Victoria Rhubarb. Lovely couple - or they were when in their prime.
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
The sun came out this afternoon so I called on Stanley and Victoria again. Stanley invited me into his room - well, I was appalled by what he showed me!! It was disgusting.!

I ask you, when was the last time you saw shag pile carpet!! Don't think it had seen a carpet rake since it was laid, goodness knows how many years ago. The girls and I set about pulling it up and the tufts were coming out in handfuls. Dreadful stuff. Stanley said he had no idea where it had come from but I think it was a freebie with that couch (grass) he bought from the second hand shop.

Its going to be a while before we can restore the floor in his room to an acceptable state but, typical Stanley, he doesn't care, or even notice.
  • JJB, Mark_Riga