Veggie's random garden
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(13-07-2022, 08:35 AM)Vinny Wrote: Methinks 'Arhur' needs a fairy door! Smile
Arthur has a fairy tunnel under the sticking out bit of root on the right. I'll clear more of it to give the fairies easier access. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Someone with carving skills could give Arthur a face too. I love to see the old trunks turned into sculptures or watching the chainsaw artists at the country fairs.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
The Tree men did offer to carve something but it cost enough to have the tree felled and chopped up. Don't think I could have justified paying for a bit of large scale whittling!!
I think it would be good cut into a chair, that I could perch on and survey the garden. However, having absolutely no head for heights, the seat would have to be quite low! I'm probably safer sitting on the sticking out root, as I used to do.

As for today's plum tree clean up project on the former Bed 10, I did a lot but the ground was too hard to push a fork into so there are still some odds and ends to remove. Need some rain.

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Its too hot to do anything meaningful outdoors so I thought I'd tell you my plans for next year.

You have to imagine that the far end of the garden is in quarters. At the moment the veg growing is mostly in the South east quarter ( where the courgettes and mangetout etc grow in a miscellany of old GH/PT frames.    

Unfortunately, the oak tree to the west of them puts them in shadow after midday. the ground is also very dry.
My plan is to grow in the North east corner instead as its more open. This means reclaiming this area where I used to grow raspberries in a netted row of GH frames (which collapsed in the storms).

When I've cleared this area, which is fenced off from the rest of the garden (was a chicken run) I'll  extend outwards for more veg.

Meanwhile, the South East quarter will grow more flowers and herbs, the old pond  will be cleared and turned into a fruit cage and I'll think about what to grow in the existing beds/frames - something that doesn't need as much sun or water as beans and squashes which have been a disaster this year. 

Then, after breakfast, I'll..................... Big Grin

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I need to create a Tea Garden (for herb teas) and a Spice garden (for cooking spices) somewhere in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller

A few things that caught my eye during my walkabout.
  • JJB, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Is that a medlar? What's the squash type thingy? Are the fungi edible? What beautiful colours.

Any pictures of my day would have included round plastic flower pots, all sizes, shapes and colours. P asked how many million did I need Big Grin I know I don't need so many so why is it so hard to throw some away? You can bet your bottom dollar next season that I'll need that exact one that's been thrown out today.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Yes, its a medlar. Bit like the quince, I don't really know what to do with them!
Maybe somebody can guess what the second "thing" is.
No idea about the fungi and I'm not tempted to taste it.
The red leaves are on a small Japanese maple that's at least 20 years old but still shorter than me....(Cue for the Boss to be rude).
  • JJB, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Is it your carosello thingy?
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(13-11-2022, 06:37 PM)JJB Wrote: Is it your carosello thingy?
No  - they were in the GH and I won't be growing them again.
The thing in the photo is a bit small for his age.