Veggie's random garden
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Sit down, I'm about to do something very unusual - follow a plan and garden in beds - maybe even plant in rows. I should add that this will still leave the middle bit of the garden for random growing Wink
I've been following Huw Richards You tube videos about a 2 year growing experiment he did on a plot of land the size of a half allotment (10m x 12.5m). His aim was to grow enough food to feed 2 people all year round. His videos culminated in the publication of a book which has just been published. Being a cheapskate, I've been writing down his sowing plans and plot diagram with a view to copying him. However, my scribbled notes miss out a lot so I've treated myself and ordered the book. Hopefully, it will arrive tomorrow and I can come up with a real plan that will work in my garden. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0241...=dkuk00-21
Huw's plot is neatly fenced, is flat, no tree cover, has raised beds, a polytunnel and is, basically neat and tidy. Mine is the opposite, I don't have any raised beds and I have to jiggle with what I have. I think Huw has 11 beds I have 2!!. Details, as they say! I don't know what size beds Huw has so that'll be my starting point, before I start setting out odd planks and poles in an imaginary plan. His Polytunnel will be my GHs.
I'm quite excited. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
That looks like a very interesting book. I’m very tempted. I’ll add it to my (long) wish list
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
The Book has just arrived!
The overall plot size is 10 x 12.5 m (33 x 43'), fenced all round.
He has 9 raised beds, 3 of which are covered "hoop houses". He doesn't give specific measurements for them but says he has found the ideal bed size to be no longer than 3m/10' and no wider then 1.2m/4'. I'll work to something near this as far as possible. He seems to like planting in square metre blocks which suits me fine as I've already thought about square yard gardening.
His Polytunnel is 6 x 3 m (20' x 10'). I'll use my GHs instead.
He also has 2 Hot beds which are 1.5m square with an inner frame that is 1.2m square. I probably won't have these. I'll rely on germinating seeds indoors.
Additionally, he has beds around the inside of the outer fence, plus compost bins and pots for potatoes. I can do this!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Small chilli, Vinny