hydrogen cyanide
Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
Just want to share this discovery with you all. We all know blackthorn is a nasty piece of work and you should seek medical attention if you get a splinter. I didn’t realise how bad it could be. My neighbour got a splinter in her finger last week. Didn’t do anything about it straight away. Sunday her finger was massive. She finally went to A&E Monday. They sent her straight to Glasgow hospital and she was in surgery last night. Not sure what they did. Apparently as the blackthorn brakes down it releases hydrogen cyanide.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 6 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, JJB, mcdood, Veggie, Vinny

Jay Offline
Wow!! I didn’t know that SC, thanks for the info...must have been very scary for your neighbour. Hope she is doing ok!
West of Scotland
[-] The following 6 users Like Jay's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, mcdood, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Hope she's OK , SC.
For those who don't know - Blackthorn is also known as Sloe - so when you're picking those sloes for your sloe gin, take extra care. the thorns are vicious in all sorts of ways.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 6 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, JJB, mcdood, Small chilli, Vinny

Spec Offline
Reading this reminded me of my mother always telling us that if we got ablackthorn skelf, dig it out straight away, as, if it was left in, you could loose your arm, guess who finished up with having to get several polices to clean cuts from a dirty pen knifeRolleyes
[-] The following 4 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, JJB, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(24-03-2021, 04:58 PM)Spec Wrote: Reading this reminded me of my mother always telling us that if we got ablackthorn skelf, dig it out straight away, as, if it was left in, you could loose your arm, guess who finished up with having to get several polices to clean cuts from a dirty pen knifeRolleyes
"Several polices"???? 
Google cannot translate.Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, JJB, Small chilli, Spec

Spec Offline
Poultice is what it should be, a poultice made with bread, milk and baking powderRolleyes
[-] The following 7 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I didn't know blackthorn was such a threat. I do now. Hope your neighbour is recovering, SC.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 5 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, Small chilli, Spec, Vinny

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
Wow, I didn't know either! We have loads of blackthorn around here, and I sometimes pick the sloes for gin. I'll be more careful in future!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 5 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, Small chilli, Spec, Vinny