Forum Help - Quote
Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
(22-03-2021, 09:09 PM)Broadway Wrote: Yup but that's a replySmile, what's quote?

Click the quote button. Scroll down to the reply box. A notice on blue says "You have selected one or more posts to quote. Quote these posts now or deselect them." Now, to use the quote you need to click on the bit that says "You have selected one or more posts to quote. Quote these posts.." If you click on the bit that says "... now or deselect them." the quote is deselected. So be careful where you put your mouse. Big Grin
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 2 users Like Moth's post:
  • JJB, toomanytommytoes

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
(22-03-2021, 10:28 PM)Moth Wrote: Click the quote button. Scroll down to the reply box. A notice on blue says "You have selected one or more posts to quote. Quote these posts now or deselect them." Now, to use the quote you need to click on the bit that says "You have selected one or more posts to quote. Quote these posts.." If you click on the bit that says "... now or deselect them." the quote is deselected. So be careful where you put your mouse. Big Grin

And to me it seems that "quote" is similar to "quick reply" and "reply" is similar to "new reply" in that the one gives a simple box, the other gives the full works editing bits.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 3 users Like Moth's post:
  • Eyren, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(22-03-2021, 08:09 PM)Broadway Wrote: I'm not disputing your guidance JenSmile In some posts I've seen something like /quote in the body?

If you try to manually edit out some of the previous sections when a post has lots of nested quotes (like I did with this one), it's easy to accidentally delete part of the (usually invisible) formatting code as well, which means that bits of it appear on-screen.

You can reveal the formatting code if you click on the very last button on the toolbar - it has an icon that looks like a piece of paper, and it says "View source" when you hover your mouse over it.
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Broadway, JJB

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
I guess I just take this stuff for granted because I've been using forums for over 20 years (and because I know how they work behind the scenes), but this is how I'd describe them, in increasing order of complexity:

* "Quick Reply" is the simplest - type in some text and your message gets added to the thread

* If you want more bells and whistles (text formatting, images, emojis, etc), click "New Reply" at the bottom of the thread to get the full editing interface

* If you want to quote one post, click on the "Reply" button below that post, which will give you the full editing interface and paste said quote into your post

* If you want to quote multiple posts, click on the "Quote" button beneath each one, then on "New Reply", and all the quoted posts will be pasted into the interface

The "Quote" button is normally labelled "Multi-Quote" in other forum software, which is less confusing IMHO.
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, PyreneesPlot

Greenfingers Offline
(22-03-2021, 10:34 PM)Moth Wrote:
(22-03-2021, 10:28 PM)Moth Wrote: Click the quote button. Scroll down to the reply box. A notice on blue says "You have selected one or more posts to quote. Quote these posts now or deselect them." Now, to use the quote you need to click on the bit that says "You have selected one or more posts to quote. Quote these posts.." If you click on the bit that says "... now or deselect them." the quote is deselected. So be careful where you put your mouse. Big Grin

And to me it seems that "quote" is similar to "quick reply" and "reply" is similar to "new reply" in that the one gives a simple box, the other gives the full works editing bits.
Just trying to see if I can do this.
[-] The following 2 users Like Greenfingers's post:
  • Broadway, Moth