What shouldn't go in your compost bin?
toomanytommytoes Offline
Finger's crossed I've rid of our ground elder after 3 years. Luckily it's in a small area and I found it early so it didn't spread very far.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(21-03-2021, 10:55 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Finger's crossed I've rid of our ground elder after 3 years. Luckily it's in a small area and I found it early so it didn't spread very far.
It was a forest when I came here. I'd never seen it before. I new as soon as I started in with the fork that the mass of roots wasn't good.

The garden is too big for me really. I spent all day today on one border. Digging it out, feeding the roses and adding manure. I was going to plant in my hardy annuals but run out of time.
[-] The following 6 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, mcdood, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I have several dialeks and I've recently filled up one mainly with weed roots. Lots of couch, docks, dandelions, nettles and buttercups but nothing anywhere near flowering. I didn't think it would be of interest to rodents but last time I put some in I noticed a mouse had been gnawing a dock root. It will likely be some time before it is compost but I'm not in a hurry for it. when I eventually come to ue it, I will probably spread it thinly so if any roots are still alive, they can be picked out and put back in with new stuff.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, toomanytommytoes

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I wonder how many of us have ground elder?

It regrows from just a tiny broken root.
I went to wisley a few years back and they had a trial bed where they were trying to eradicate by removing all lands and using weed killer. I didn't go back last year so I don't know what happened to it.

I would be too worried to put it in the compost. I have one bed I weeded today, it has a few leaves of it every time I look there. The issue is that the roots are coming through an old drystone wall. So I can never dig the roots out.
[-] The following 5 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, mcdood, Small chilli, Veggie

Spec Offline
I have two questions to ask regarding this thread
1/ is the green johanna hot composer as good or better than the Hotbin Composter
2/ would a paraffin weed burner be hot enough to kill off the roots of ground elder and couch grass, as it is pressurised it pushes out quite a high temperature
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Spec, Re 1 - you might be better asking that on the Hotbins thread as there are comments on there about both bins https://gardenandgossip.org/showthread.p...48&page=10 although nothing about "green johanna the hot composer". Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Spec Offline
Thanks Veggie reading that, is like music to me earsBig Grin
[-] The following 4 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(26-04-2021, 01:34 PM)Spec Wrote: I have two questions to ask regarding this thread
1/ is the green johanna hot composer as good or better than the Hotbin Composter
2/ would a paraffin weed burner be hot enough to kill off the roots of ground elder and couch grass, as it is pressurised it pushes out quite a high temperature
I've never used a weed burner but I don't believe it would be worth doing. The amount of roots that I dig up from a border is pretty large. They are very thicvk and I can easily fill a when barrow in half an hour. Maybe if my border were smaller and I got to them every week but I can't hand dig the whole garden weekly. It grows back quite fast.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Spec Offline
Why don't you get a bigger wheelbarrow RolleyesBig Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet, Veggie