Do you have an ology?
Jimny14 Offline
My first degree was an ology. BSc in dental technology. I then worked as a dental technician for a few years, mainly in prosthetics and a bit of orthodontics. Then I went back to uni to train as a dentist.
[-] The following 7 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Spec Offline
Didn't make college let alone uni, but did get some levels, I have one 4ft a 2ft and a 9inch spirt level, only educational claim to fame is both son and daughter have University degrees, though I always tried to instill in them that having qualifications does not mean you are better than others, with having a mother who could strip, repair and polish any piece of furniture, cut and sew cloth to make dresses or trousers, along with the ability to do practically anything she wanted done and left school at 13/14 taught me that qualifications wasn't everything.
Well that my excuse for not sticking in at school Big Grin
[-] The following 8 users Like Spec's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Mark_Riga, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
That's impressive, Jimny, a dentalolology. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Jimny14, JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(15-03-2021, 12:01 AM)Spec Wrote: Didn't make college let alone uni, but did get some levels, I have one 4ft a 2ft and a 9inch spirt level, only educational claim to fame is both son and daughter have University degrees, though I always tried to instill in them that having  qualifications does not mean you are better than others, with having a mother who could strip, repair and polish any piece of furniture, cut and sew cloth to make dresses or trousers, along with the ability to do practically anything she wanted done and left school at 13/14 taught me that qualifications wasn't everything.
Spec has studied Spirtology and risen to the giddy heights of a 9 inch spirt. Congratulations. Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Spec

Spec Offline
Correction, I have a 4ft. spirit level as well as a 2ft. spirit level Tongue
[-] The following 4 users Like Spec's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
(15-03-2021, 12:01 AM)Spec Wrote: Didn't make college let alone uni, but did get some levels, I have one 4ft a 2ft and a 9inch spirt level, only educational claim to fame is both son and daughter have University degrees, though I always tried to instill in them that having  qualifications does not mean you are better than others, with having a mother who could strip, repair and polish any piece of furniture, cut and sew cloth to make dresses or trousers, along with the ability to do practically anything she wanted done and left school at 13/14 taught me that qualifications wasn't everything.
I agree 100% . You can get a very long way in life with basic skills and common sense.
A lot of ologies soon become null and void. Quite often it’s the powers that be change the name of the degree and the old version is suddenly no longer recognised by employers. Ridiculous! As for the practical ones if you are not working in the sector or don’t keep up with refresher course. You’re ologies don’t mean squat!
I can officially state I have no qualifications that count
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 7 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Spec, Veggie, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(14-03-2021, 11:49 PM)Jimny14 Wrote: My first degree was an ology. BSc in dental technology. I then worked as a dental technician for a few years, mainly in prosthetics and a bit of orthodontics. Then I went back to uni to train as a dentist.
If I'd known I would have come to you for a visit over lockdown. Nearly a whole year with waiting to have a tooth out. Sad They tried filling it 3 times.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Jimny14, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(15-03-2021, 08:11 AM)Small chilli Wrote:
I agree 100% . You can get a very long way in life with basic skills and common sense.
A lot of ologies soon become null and void. Quite often it’s the powers that be change the name of the degree and the old version is suddenly no longer recognised by employers. Ridiculous! As for the practical ones if you are not working in the sector or don’t keep up with refresher course. You’re ologies don’t mean squat!
I can officially state I have no questions that count

Indeed! In my case my ologies are worthless now, but doing them opened my mind to the idea of studying things just for the sake of understanding more about the world, and more importantly it was the time when I had the greatest capacity to hold my drink Smile and still talk dog's spherical.
Time spent just expanding your thinking powers is priceless. Critical thinking is fundamental to a well functioning democracy and has nothing to do with perceived concepts of intelligence.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Mark_Riga, Small chilli, Spec, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I'm feeling decidedly left out, not an ology in sight here. I was always reminded that my brother was the clever one, foolishly I believed it. I nearly got to finishing school in Ascot....does that count? Ended up at secretarial college in Salisbury looking after elderly grandma.
Masses of skills, no ologies.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 5 users Like JJB's post:
  • Scarlet, Small chilli, Spec, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
JJB We award you an Honorary Secretarialology with expertise in Old Type faces,.Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli, Vinny