Eco friendly recommendations
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(13-03-2021, 04:51 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: Good thread.
I'm a recent convert to using vinegar for cleaning - great for removing limescale and grime. After a shower, a quick wipe around with a sponge with a little vinegar, followed by a go with the squeedgee seems to work as well as a post-shower squeedgee plus weekly clean with a product like that one that with a bang. No brand, just all-purpose cleaning vinegar Smile Although it does come in a plastic container Sad
The cheap own-brand white vinegar that I've bought is in a glass bottle. Its not as chipshoppy as malt either. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Moth, Small chilli, Spec, Vinny

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
We just buy vinaigre ménager, white vinegar that you definitely wouldn't want to cook with. And not a bit malty Smile
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 6 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Eyren, JJB, Small chilli, Spec, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(13-03-2021, 10:13 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: We just buy vinaigre ménager, white vinegar that you definitely wouldn't want to cook with. And not a bit malty Smile
That's my new thing I've learnt today - Household vinegar is stronger than white vinegar. https://www.trucs-astuces-conseils.com/v...ifference/
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, PyreneesPlot, Spec

Jimny14 Offline
(13-03-2021, 07:24 PM)Veggie Wrote: Thanks Jimny Smile We have a Zero waste shop near here, so I'll see if they stock them. The P&P online is quite pricey if you only want a small quantity to try!!

If you or anyone else fancy trying some I have a stash I could send you a few.
[-] The following 6 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Spec, Veggie, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
That’s very kind of you Jimny. I might take you up on your offer at some point. I’ve just ordered these.
https://www.vera-bee.com/collections/too...-ecoliving

What’s your professional opinion of these?
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Spec, Veggie, Vinny

Jimny14 Offline
(13-03-2021, 11:49 PM)Small chilli Wrote: That’s very kind of you Jimny. I might take you up on your offer at some point. I’ve just ordered these.
https://www.vera-bee.com/collections/too...-ecoliving

What’s your  professional opinion of these?

Thry look pretty similar SC. They have 1450ppmf fluoride which is the recommended amount, plastic free, I dont think you'd see a noticable difference other than flavour possibly between the two brands. They both use bicarb as the main abrasive, should work fine. 
I personally fine the tablets very wet/watery to brush with rather than foamy. Its different but I'm sure I could adjust to it if I carried on using them, I dont find them unpleasant just different.
[-] The following 5 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Spec, Veggie

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(13-03-2021, 10:58 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(13-03-2021, 10:13 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: We just buy vinaigre ménager, white vinegar that you definitely wouldn't want to cook with. And not a bit malty Smile
That's my new thing I've learnt today - Household vinegar is stronger than white vinegar. https://www.trucs-astuces-conseils.com/v...ifference/

Thanks for that link! I was pleased to find that I could read pretty much the whole thing in French, though I clicked "translate" afterwards to check I'd correctly guessed the meaning of unfamiliar words like "la lessive" (laundry) Smile
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Eyren's post:
  • JJB, Spec, Vinny

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(13-03-2021, 05:44 PM)Veggie Wrote: I'm a fan of microfibre cleaning cloths for cleaning surfaces. All you need to add is water. They last for ever and can be chucked in the washing machine when grubby.

Half a squeezed lemon (destined for the compost bin) is great for cleaning taps and sinks - smells nice too.

Yes, I do both of those. I also like microfibre mops - it's so much easier to peel off the microfibre from the velcro and wring it out in an ordinary bucket, than to mess about with squeezy mechanisms!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Eyren's post:
  • JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(14-03-2021, 07:40 AM)Eyren Wrote:
(13-03-2021, 10:58 PM)Veggie Wrote:

Thanks for that link! I was pleased to find that I could read pretty much the whole thing in French, though I clicked "translate" afterwards to check I'd correctly guessed the meaning of unfamiliar words like "la lessive" (laundry) Smile
I have a "failed O level French" certificate so Goggle translate is my friend. Smile
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Eyren, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Spec

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
(13-03-2021, 05:44 PM)Veggie Wrote: ...Half a squeezed lemon (destined for the compost bin) is great for cleaning taps and sinks - smells nice too.

With a teaspoon of bicarb of soda it makes light work of stains in teacups and makes the teapot sparkle too.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 3 users Like Moth's post:
  • Eyren, Small chilli, Veggie