The Shire.....
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Spreadsheets...........Pah! Tongue Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Veggie

Broadway Offline
Been over the plot doing bits & pieces, very dry. Thought I'd show a picture of some ground recently uncovered, this is why I've gone with RB's this year!

Any thoughts on working it will be greatly appreciatedSmile

I've realised my plans for this year were probably too ambitious, will refocus for next year (where that's mistakes threadSmileSmile)

Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Making the top few inches friable will help to stop drying too much. Moisture will escape quickly through all the cracks. I would use a fork to loosen the top and then rake through it. Depends what you want to plant there after that. Watering and covering with a mulch would be good then as well.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Broadway Offline
Done a few bits and pieces over the last few days however I've been a tad poorly / immobile.

I was also a bit demoralised with a few things at the plot however I've "manned up" Smile and am already planning some changes for next year, god willing!

Sown various bits over the last week including sunflowers, more asparagusSmile, lovage, and other bits and pieces.

Hoping to sow beans (Runners, DFB,CFB) and Sweetcorn in the next week.

Juggling the cucurbits around the house depending on their state of growth.

Got to the plot for the first time this week today and cobbled together a frame with some old milk cartons, YT tip, might be a tad overkill unless any more parsnips germinateSmile

[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Sad to hear you've been poorly Danny and pleased you're coming out of the doldrums. What's going under the net?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Broadway Offline
(29-04-2021, 02:31 PM)JJB Wrote: Sad to hear you've been poorly Danny and pleased you're coming out of the doldrums.  What's going under the net?
Cheers Jen

To date one germinated parsnipSmileSmileSmile

I only put them under it as the last lot got decimated by something.
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • JJB, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I thought this morning I was going to join you in despondency. Although I had wrapped the plants in the gh up against the cold last night, this morning on opening up, I found one very sad droopy aubergine, the only one of its kind that I have. It was a fine plant and I was sad to think I hadn't looked after it properly and caused its demise. I gave it a water although it didn't feel dry and lo and behold opening up after shopping this afternoon, it seems to have rallied and might live to get frosted another day.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Broadway Offline
(29-04-2021, 02:55 PM)JJB Wrote: I thought this morning I was going to join you in despondency. Although I had wrapped the plants in the gh up against the cold last night, this morning on opening up,  I found one very sad droopy aubergine,  the only one of its kind that I have. It was a fine plant and I was sad to think I hadn't looked after it properly and caused its demise. I gave it a water although it didn't feel dry and lo and behold opening up after shopping this afternoon, it seems to have rallied and might live to get frosted another day.
Good luck Jen, I don't think I've ever grown a successful aubergine, they seem a bit of a pain in the ****, well in our climate anyway!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(29-04-2021, 02:16 PM)Broadway Wrote: Done a few bits and pieces over the last few days however I've been a tad poorly / immobile.

I was also a bit demoralised with a few things at the plot however I've "manned up" Smile and am already planning some changes for next year, god willing!

Sown various bits over the last week including sunflowers, more asparagusSmile, lovage, and other bits and pieces.

Hoping to sow beans (Runners, DFB,CFB) and Sweetcorn in the next week.

Juggling the cucurbits around the house depending on their state of growth.

Got to the plot for the first time this week today and cobbled together a frame with some old milk cartons, YT tip, might be a tad overkill unless any more parsnips germinateSmile
Good idea with the milk cartons Danny..........I may steal that idea in the future! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(29-04-2021, 03:21 PM)Broadway Wrote:
(29-04-2021, 02:55 PM)JJB Wrote: I thought this morning I was going to join you in despondency. Although I had wrapped the plants in the gh up against the cold last night, this morning on opening up,  I found one very sad droopy aubergine,  the only one of its kind that I have. It was a fine plant and I was sad to think I hadn't looked after it properly and caused its demise. I gave it a water although it didn't feel dry and lo and behold opening up after shopping this afternoon, it seems to have rallied and might live to get frosted another day.
Good luck Jen, I don't think I've ever grown a successful aubergine, they seem a bit of a pain in the ****, well in our climate anyway!

I agree.  I've grown the plants but never got any decent crop. I thought I'd give them another try seeing as I had lights and GH2 to grow them in.  We shall see how we go, but this last month of cold nights isn't a good start.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Vinny