Which end do you look through? ;)
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(13-03-2021, 12:02 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(13-03-2021, 10:46 AM)JJB Wrote: No, not joining in here.  Being a cat in another life I dislike inclement weather so there's no way I'm concentrating  on anything that needs harvesting in the dead of winter.  I'm unconcerned that the land is fallow in winter and half the things on your list Veggie,  I wouldn't bother with either. Smile  Every year I leave the chard in the ground in the hope it will provide summat during the winter it never does, and I never go out to pick it.  It just gets dug out late spring when I need the space.  I just have to admit I'm a fairweather gardener but all credit to those of you who are different.
Grow stuff in your GHs over winter - that's where I intend to grow more. Nice and dry and warm - the perfect place for coffee.Wink At the mo, there's lettuce, rocket, spinach, chard, kale, spring onions, beetroot and some other green leaved things whose names I've forgotten. Next winter, I'll try to grow more roots there.
Spring cabbage,dwarf broad beans and garlic grow well in the greenhouse over winter. Cool
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Scarlet, Small chilli, Spec, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(13-03-2021, 10:46 AM)JJB Wrote: No, not joining in here.  Being a cat in another life I dislike inclement weather so there's no way I'm concentrating  on anything that needs harvesting in the dead of winter.  I'm unconcerned that the land is fallow in winter and half the things on your list Veggie,  I wouldn't bother with either. Smile  Every year I leave the chard in the ground in the hope it will provide summat during the winter it never does, and I never go out to pick it.  It just gets dug out late spring when I need the space.  I just have to admit I'm a fairweather gardener but all credit to those of you who are different.
Grow stuff in your GHs over winter - that's where I intend to grow more. Nice and dry and warm - the perfect place for coffee.Wink At the mo, there's lettuce, rocket, spinach, chard, kale, spring onions, beetroot and some other green leaved things whose names I've forgotten. Next winter, I'll try to grow more roots there.

I have and will do more GH stuff next winter, but I'm not busting my gut to be prolific all year round.  I'll plod my own merry little way, enjoying myself.  I'm definitely learning from you lot, experimenting a little, rejigging planting times, all good stuff.  Without you and your mad schemes, Veggie, my winter (and summer) would have been far more boring. I plan to stagger sowing dates, use the GH more for pots over the winter and early spring and go for the new things the team suggest but no more sowing things in early December, please  Cry  Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 5 users Like JJB's post:
  • Eyren, Small chilli, Spec, Veggie, Vinny

Spec Offline
(13-03-2021, 11:35 AM)Eyren Wrote:
(13-03-2021, 11:21 AM)Veggie Wrote: Vinny, I don't do spreadsheets either - hated them in work and still do. Sorry Eyren, but if it works for you, great. Looks good.

My organisation will be limited to a written list and sorting the seeds to be sown into month order.

I don't often use spreadsheets at work - maybe that's why I enjoy using them for my hobbies. I'd rather do that than use a dedicated gardening app that requires time to learn and often costs money (sometimes monthly!), whereas Numbers comes free with all my Apple devices.

I've tried organising seeds by sowing date in the past, but found it annoying because it was always changing. Now I just sort them by type and look them up on my spreadsheets when it's time to sow them Smile

I will need to find out what a spreadsheet is before I can comment on using them, as for numbers from apple devices, do you mean treesConfused I'm with Vinny with all this planning and what not, I enjoy gardening and if I had to start making lists or even keeping a diary, which I always start the year intending to doRolleyes it would take me away from something I view as more important, and to be honest anything else is more important than keeping lists, as you will gather 8am not good at keeping records Rolleyes
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • Eyren, Veggie, Vinny

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(13-03-2021, 05:06 PM)Spec Wrote: I will need to find out what a spreadsheet is before I can comment on using them, as for numbers from apple devices, do you mean treesConfused I'm with Vinny with all this planning and what not, I enjoy gardening and if I had to start making lists or even keeping a diary, which I always start the year intending to doRolleyes it would take me away from something I view as more important, and to be honest anything else is more important than keeping lists, as you will gather 8am not good at keeping records Rolleyes

Each to their own, Spec - it would be a dull old world if we were all the same! I guess having spent the last 20-odd years in computer programming and project management, I feel lost without a detailed plan Big Grin
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Mark_Riga, Spec, Veggie, Vinny

Spec Offline
(13-03-2021, 02:16 PM)JJB Wrote: I have and will do more GH stuff next winter, but I'm not busting my gut to be prolific all year round.  I'll plod my own merry little way, enjoying myself.  I'm definitely learning from you lot, experimenting a little, rejigging planting times, all good stuff.  Without you and your mad schemes, Veggie, my winter (and summer) would have been far more boring. I plan to stagger sowing dates, use the GH more for pots over the winter and early spring and go for the new things the team suggest but no more sowing things in early December, please  Cry  Smile

JJB I would suggest growing peas in the greenhouse and harvesting the tops over winter, I did this after a suggestion from Veggie and really worth the effort Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Spec's post:
  • Eyren, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Spec Offline
Yes Eyren each to their own, after being retired for almost 20 years, it's good to be able to just keep track of things that I am interested in, I do most of my planning in my head, imagine the bother I would be in if OH always knew what I was planning, simply by looking at a spreadsheetRolleyes life would be dull if we were all the sameBig Grin
[-] The following 4 users Like Spec's post:
  • Eyren, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(13-03-2021, 05:31 PM)Spec Wrote: Yes Eyren each to their own, after being retired for almost 20 years, it's good to be able to just keep track of things that I am interested in, I do most of my planning in my head, imagine the bother I would be in if OH always knew what I was planning, simply by looking at a spreadsheetRolleyes life would be dull if we were all the sameBig Grin

Mr E doesn't see my spreadsheets - I have my own laptop and he doesn't know the password Wink
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Eyren's post:
  • JJB, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(13-03-2021, 12:18 PM)Vinny Wrote:
Spring cabbage,dwarf broad beans and garlic grow well in the greenhouse over winter. Cool
I remember reading this from one of your posts several year ago....I'm nit very good with cabbage grown outside due to pigeons but I took the advice and often grow - Durham early in the greenhouse over winter. Uses the space and I use them S spring greens.
[-] The following 6 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Spec, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Another nutty idea, hot out of my head!!

Imagine your growing space divided into 12 beds, each one growing the crops you would harvest in a named Month. At the end of the month, you would have eaten everything growing in it and you could clear the bed for the next sowing.

In March for example, it would grow  -
Sprouting Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Winter cabbages, Winter Caulis
Celeriac, Chard, Chicory, Endive
Kale, Leeks, Parsnip
Sorrel, Spinach.
Indoor lettuce.

Maybe a few of these would be in pots and moved into the GH or dug up and heeled into pots, like the leeks.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(13-03-2021, 05:15 PM)Spec Wrote:
(13-03-2021, 02:16 PM)JJB Wrote: I have and will do more GH stuff next winter, but I'm not busting my gut to be prolific all year round.  I'll plod my own merry little way, enjoying myself.  I'm definitely learning from you lot, experimenting a little, rejigging planting times, all good stuff.  Without you and your mad schemes, Veggie, my winter (and summer) would have been far more boring. I plan to stagger sowing dates, use the GH more for pots over the winter and early spring and go for the new things the team suggest but no more sowing things in early December, please  Cry  Smile

JJB I would suggest growing peas in the greenhouse and harvesting the tops over winter, I did this after a suggestion from Veggie and really worth the effort Smile

Veggie suggested early peas in the GH in pots over the winter, I have two pots of them on the go, one mangetout the other ordinary, so I'm not a total dead loss. Smile
Peas and carrots are a definite maybe.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Spec, Veggie, Vinny