Sweetcorn
JJB Offline
Moonraker
What varieties do others favour?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 

mcdood Offline
I can't say that I seek out anything special, I've grown Swift, Lark, Incredible and probably a couple of others too. They've all tasted great so far.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mcdood's post:
  • JJB

Admin Offline
The Boss
Swift and Lark mainly but like Mcdood a few others.

Maybe its my pallet but I i cant tell the difference in supersweet varieties
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 2 users Like Admin's post:
  • JJB, mcdood

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I think I grew Swift last year mainly because of the name and assuming it would mature early......it didn't. Rolleyes I still got a reasonable crop but it was well into autumn in arriving.

This year I am growing Earlibird......once again because of the name, but we shall see. They will be direct sown at the end April as I did with mine  last year with some success.

Last year I used a structure similar to Danny's cold frame to sow them, basically a pallet collar covered with a double glazed window pane. Rolleyes

I have visions of working at my Uncles smallholding where he fed the hens on a mixed corn mix of maize,barley and wheat thrown on the ground to allow them to scratch for it. I remember if the temperature and moisture was right there was sweetcorn plants popping up all over the place. Big Grin

I may even dabble with the 'Three Sisters' by sticking a squash plant n the middle and a few climbing frenchies round about. Shy
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Eyren, JJB

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
I have some "Medzi" (a super-sweet open-pollinated variety) that I bought last year in a fit of enthusiasm, but didn't get round to sowing because my garden wasn't really ready in time. This year I'm going to stick them in around the squash and courgettes, with no great expectation of getting a serious crop - it will be a nice bonus if I do!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Eyren's post:
  • JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I agree with the Boss, I've grown swift, lark and wagtail and couldn't really differentiate between them. Well see what Picasso does this year.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 

Broadway Offline
(22-03-2021, 10:05 AM)Vinny Wrote: I think I grew Swift last year mainly because of the name and assuming it would mature early......it didn't. Rolleyes I still got a reasonable crop but it was well into autumn in arriving.

This year I am growing Earlibird......once again because of the name, but we shall see. They will be direct sown at the end April as I did with mine  last year with some success.

Last year I used a structure similar to Danny's cold frame to sow them, basically a pallet collar covered with a double glazed window pane. Rolleyes

I have visions of working at my Uncles smallholding where he fed the hens on a mixed corn mix of maize,barley and wheat thrown on the ground to allow them to scratch for it. I remember if the temperature and moisture was right there was sweetcorn plants popping up all over the place. Big Grin

I may even dabble with the 'Three Sisters' by sticking a squash plant n the middle and a few climbing frenchies round about. Shy
Hiya Vinny

So did you grow them on in the pallet collar, if so how many did you grow in that area?
Regards..........Danny Smile

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I've grown Inredible (F1) from fothergills for the last couple of years. Mainly because of the number of seeds in a packet (50). With about 2 cobs per plant gives about 90 cobs, (or would if the birds et al would leave them alone and stick to the Maize grown in the field adjacent). Last year I grew some in a bed of their own and some in with the squash and quinoa.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(22-03-2021, 07:47 PM)Broadway Wrote:
(22-03-2021, 10:05 AM)Vinny Wrote: I think I grew Swift last year mainly because of the name and assuming it would mature early......it didn't. Rolleyes I still got a reasonable crop but it was well into autumn in arriving.

Last year I used a structure similar to Danny's cold fram Smile e to sow them, basically a pallet collar covered with a double glazed window pane. Rolleyes

Hiya Vinny

So did you grow them on in the pallet collar, if so how many did you grow in that area?
Started in pallet collar and grew on under glass and only removed glass for watering and when the plants reached the glass. From memory I had 3 rows X 4 rows so 12 plants to a collar! Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, JJB

Broadway Offline
I got some Incredible (f1) in Wilko today, mainly because that's all they hadSmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Broadway's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, mcdood, Vinny