Spinach
Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(11-03-2021, 07:45 AM)Broadway Wrote: Hello Folks

Is there a case for growing both perpetual spinach and chard or one or the other?

It probably depends on which you prefer - some find the taste of perpetual spinach a bit metallic, which others dislike the earthy, beetroot-like flavour of chard.

I don't think I've ever grown perpetual spinach since the regular kind has done well for me. I prefer chard cooked, as the leaves can be a bit tough - this is a great recipe for Saag Aloo (saag can be any seasonal greens, not spinach specifically):

https://www.growingfrugal.com/blog/new-r...-saag-aloo

I'm also going to try the stems roasted with garlic and olive oil, as suggested by Liz Zorab. I also need to ask my Indian neighbour - she told me the other day she grows beetroot for its leaves and cooks them in coconut milk, which sounds yummy!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Vinny

Broadway Offline
Thanks Bren / Eyren

I like chard and have grown it for the last few years, always bright lights although I have also sown some fordhook giant this year.

I've not really grown spinach however I've sown some Medania recently. I also have some tree & mustard spinach to try so think that's enough for this yearSmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Eyren, Vinny

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Another vote for chard and perpetual spinach here too. Bright lights and rhubarb just look so stunning, especially in the winter, and taste good too. It's a crop we try to have all year round, and a testament to how good it is, is that I have to fight the voles for it!!
I gave up on spinach years ago as it always bolted before producing anything worth harvesting.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 5 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Eyren, mcdood, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have to fight voles for everything! I also grow rainbow chard. It’s one of my favourite.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, PyreneesPlot

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
I want to try "Costa Bianca" - it has thick white stems and was recommended by Alys Fowler as being very tasty:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle...al-spinach
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, Vinny