Lettuce appreciation society
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I had to google those! I think the fizzy head drunk woman is in Morton’s secret mix. Or something very similar. Brilliant names.

Going to attempt to save seeds this year . Don’t know what variety yet. Hope I have better luck than last year.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
In my photo of the GH, there's a bolting lettuce at the back right corner. I leave them to flower and form fluffy seedheads which will dry on the plant. If you cut them off then and put them in a bag/bucket, they'll fall off (with some gentle persuasion) and you get masses of seed from one plant.
I have some Morton's Secret Mix -might need to sow those in another GH. BTW, Real seeds have Red Iceberg seeds.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • PyreneesPlot, Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I don't buy lettuce seed these days - just sow what I have - freebies/swapped/saved...I should spend my pennies though as there are some I really like.

I sow lollo rosso, little gem often. Love freckles but I have t had that foe a while. Maybe I should treat myself. There was an iceburg I really love but can't grasp the name at the moment Big Grin salad bowl is lovely but the slugs always hid in it! I know Mexican tree spinach is a weed but I love the magenta leaf on my plate.

C. Dowding has a book - salad for all seasons. I got a signed copy when I went to a talk he gave one year. It's full of fab varieties- may need to get it back out.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Eyren, mcdood, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(07-03-2021, 12:49 AM)Veggie Wrote:  BTW, Real seeds have Red Iceberg seeds.
Obviously I had to go have a look  Big Grin . Luckily they’re out of stock, or I might of been buying more seed  Big Grin .
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have some sealed packets of Red Iceberg - packed 2014. They ?may? be viable. Do you want to try some?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(07-03-2021, 07:11 AM)Scarlet Wrote: C. Dowding has a book - salad for all seasons. I got a signed copy when I went to a talk he gave one year. It's full of fab varieties- may need to get it back out.

I have that book too! (Not signed, but I do have a signed copy of "Organic Home & Garden", from when his website was having a sale last year.) Maybe I shouldn't check it right now though, otherwise I'll be buying even more seeds Big Grin
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Scarlet, Small chilli

Bren Offline
I sow winter lettuce usually 'Artic king' or All year round' both do well outdoors but I do sow some in the GH borders as well. Can't be without a bit of lettuce on my sandwich.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Bren, whenever I see your name I read it as " Self sufficient in lettuce". Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, Small chilli

Bren Offline
(07-03-2021, 10:16 AM)Veggie Wrote: Bren, whenever I see your name I read it as " Self sufficient in lettuce". Smile

That's the only veg I don't have to buy.    Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(07-03-2021, 10:08 AM)Veggie Wrote: I have some sealed packets of Red Iceberg - packed 2014. They ?may? be viable. Do you want to try some?
Yes please. That would be great. Thank you  Smile . 
keep hold of them till we do the commercial seed swap.
  • Veggie