Welsh Cakes
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Not knocking Mikey's here - his are the best Wink

Welshcakes seem to generate strong feelings between Welsh Cake cooks - each cook declaring that their's are best and much nicer than so-and-so's.
My Mum reckoned her's were the best and if anyone gave her some of their's she'd accept politely and eat them but mutter to me afterwards about how they didn't have enough "this" or too much "that". 

They're also gifts for friends. My neighbour across the road sometimes appears at my front door with a tinfoil wrapped parcel of Welsh cakes, still warm from the bakestone. She'll give me some and then moves on to the neighbours with a package for them too. She says you can't make just a few at a time - and I agree!!
My niece in law brought a basket of them to a family funeral last year - we couldn't have a wake but we ate Welshcakes at the crem. Smile Couldn't warm them up there though.  Blush
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Mikey, Small chilli

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
Thanks for the recipe, Mikey. I've never made (or tried) Welsh Cakes, but when I'm back eating flour again - if I ever do - I will certainly try your recipe.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 1 user Likes Moth's post:
  • Mikey

Mikey Offline
Welsh cakes are very territorial you are right V, a bit like a scone and the cream/jam which came first. Honestly that’s one I’m not giving an opinion on. Big Grin

If you give a cake to Mary Berry though and it’s still raw in the middle, I’m sure she’d tell you these aren’t cooked. Tongue

Hot, Warm or Cold however is personal preference, we had heart shape ones at our wedding many years ago and to me there is no better. I’m also quite partial to other area delicacies an Eccles or lardy cake, a Chelsea or hot cross bun.

I’ve never had a Fat Rascal, a Parkin, Goosnargh or Chorley cake though. Any other local delicacies I should be trying?
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Not a sweet but Staffordshire oatcakes are the best thing ever ( especially if your from the potteries ).
Best hot with cheese and bacon on them. I’ve just learned to make them myself. Had my first homemade oatcakes last week & first oatcakes in 5+ year. Not a common thing outside Staffordshire.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 5 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Mark_Riga, Mikey, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
My best friend makes fat rascals, she's from Yorkshire. I'd never heard of them. I think they're rock cakes by another name.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Mikey, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'm told that "Yorkshire Curd tarts" are "to die for" though who would die for the sake of a cake I've no idea!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Mikey

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
What's wrong with a bakestone? I use my Nans. Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Mikey, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have the family bakestone too!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Hmm, what about bara brith? I loved that as a kid with the butter sliced on.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Mikey

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(04-03-2021, 05:56 PM)Veggie Wrote: I have the family bakestone too!
That was the only thing of hers I wanted. I love it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Mikey