Dieting
Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
I take a K2 supplement bc it's low in plant foods, but there are warnings about warfarin etc in the books I reference. Everyone has to tailor their diet to their circumstances!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Vinny

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(23-02-2021, 05:48 PM)Broadway Wrote: Exactly Eyren and that why one doesn't fit all. Whatever works for you, me, Vinny then we at least give it a try.

Mine would be easy, it's beer, if I stopped I'd be a rake but at 58, erm, I'd rather die happy.

Yeah, I feel the same way about red wine (I'm a smidge older). I figure once a week is OK - the rest of the time I enjoy a healthy diet Wink
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Spec, Vinny

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
I'm pleased you started this thread.

I finally got some new batteries for the scales and found that since December I've gained a stone! :eek:

The simplest way for me to lose weight is to stop eating wheat. It cuts out all the snacks - cake, bread, crackers, biscuits. Also I forgo my breakfast porridge and have fruit and yoghurt instead. I do miss the satisfying tastiness of home made bread, but I also definitely feel much more energetic and alert when I can stay off flour products.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 3 users Like Moth's post:
  • Eyren, JJB, Vinny

Jimny14 Offline
I am not a fan of diets, as in strict rules regarding what to reduce, how much carb, fat, protein etc I can eat during a day etc.
I feel that if restrctive diets worked in the long term then the diet industry would not exist.
A healthy diet which will allow you to maintain a healthy weight (and body composition) is a very personal thing and although a prescriptive diet can be a good start point for many people it will have to be amended to be workable in the long term for most.
To my mind the most successful "diets" are those that are maintainable in the long term without feeling like you're restricting yourself. This may involve a few lifestyle changes and a couple of alterations to exercise etc but if you can fit these in to your lifestyle and are able to maintain them the you shouldn't just lose weight but more importantly keep it off.

Good luck to everyone trying to lose weight currently, I hope you are al successful in the long term.
[-] The following 4 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • JJB, PyreneesPlot, Veggie, Vinny

Spec Offline
(23-02-2021, 09:52 PM)Eyren Wrote: Yeah, I feel the same way about red wine (I'm a smidge older). I figure once a week is OK
Why your older than I thought, you must be about Veggie's age Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Spec's post:
  • Eyren, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(24-02-2021, 01:44 AM)Spec Wrote: Why your older than I thought, you must be about Veggie's age Smile

I get that a lot - working in IT with a bunch of guys half my age keeps me young! Wink

(Also I just remembered that I'm actually the same age as Broadway atm, though that will change next month - which is probably why I was thinking of the higher number when I posted!)
[-] The following 3 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Well it's workingSmile  a bit of gardening, no muffins and butter and I left the chocolate alone (for a day) and a pound has gone.  I knew all along what was causing the gradual increase, I just needed the kick up the @rse to consider doing something about it.  Thank you Vinny.  Now I need to keep it up.

A bit of competition might help is anybody prepared to log progress,  on a casual basis,  to keep those of in need to slim down motivated?  Or is a gardening forum, not quite the right place?  Confused
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 5 users Like JJB's post:
  • Mikey, Moth, PyreneesPlot, Veggie, Vinny

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(24-02-2021, 10:38 AM)JJB Wrote: Well it's workingSmile  a bit of gardening, no muffins and butter and I left the chocolate alone (for a day) and a pound has gone.  I knew all along what was causing the gradual increase, I just needed the kick up the @rse to consider doing something about it.  Thank you Vinny.  Now I need to keep it up.

A bit of competition might help is anybody prepared to log progress,  on a casual basis,  to keep those of in need to slim down motivated?  Or is a gardening forum, not quite the right place?  Confused

I dunno - blokes nearly always lose weight faster than women because their bodies aren't designed to store fat for making babies, so it might be a bit dispiriting for the rest of us!

Edit: maybe if we stuck to "how well I stuck to my diet" rather than "how much weight I lost"?
[-] The following 2 users Like Eyren's post:
  • JJB, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Sounds more sensible. I often wondered why OH could just think about losing a few pounds and it worked whilst I struggled, should've figured. Now then sticking to diet might be problematic there are two muffins to eat up :~......where's the butter!
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Eyren, Moth, Vinny

Jimny14 Offline
(24-02-2021, 10:38 AM)JJB Wrote: A bit of competition might help is anybody prepared to log progress,  on a casual basis,  to keep those of in need to slim down motivated?  Or is a gardening forum, not quite the right place?  Confused

Sounds like not a bad idea JJB. Logging progress either privately or in public is often helpful. Maybe consider recording measurements (chest, waist, hips, thighs) as well as weight. Remember that as we become more active and do more exercise in an effort to become more healthy (not necessarily lose weight) that our body composition changes. Fat is a lot less dense than muscle. If you lose fat and replace it with a similar weight in new muscle you will not notice a weight loss but your trousers may not fit any more.
[-] The following 7 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Mikey, Moth, PyreneesPlot, Veggie, Vinny