Dieting
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(23-02-2021, 03:00 PM)Veggie Wrote: Is that your beer belly, Vinny? Smile Smile

How did you cook your mushrooms? Fried??
A veggie brekkie could be mushrooms, tomatoes, baked beans, scrambled eggs..........
That's tomorrows brekkie sorted then...............I have got no sausages or black pudding left anyway! Big Grin 

Since when was an egg a vegetable?
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Moth, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(23-02-2021, 03:01 PM)Greenfingers Wrote: I generally just eat whatever I fancy but try to keep the portion size under control. I'd rather have a small portion of something really gorgeous than a mountain of something okay. I also don't snack generally (apart from a bit of allotment grazing) and keep to 2 meals a day.
Sounds like a plan. Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons

JJB Offline
Moonraker
You've spurred me on Vinny. Instead of toasted English muffins and wedges of butter, I'm eating a plate of sweet orange peppers for lunch. It's not quite the same though Sad
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Moth, Vinny

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(23-02-2021, 02:47 PM)Vinny Wrote: I have no idea as to what a vegetarian equivalent of a full English is veggie. I did have a big pile of mushrooms with my fry up though............does that count! Big Grin.

There are lots of vegetarian/vegan options for a fry-up: sausages (the Heck ones are nice), tempeh "bacon", tofu scramble (coloured yellow with turmeric), and even vegan black pudding! Add in mushrooms, tomatoes, baked beans and toast, and you won't have mush room left on your plate Big Grin

At the moment I'm mostly following the Eat To Live diet by an American doctor called Joel Fuhrman, that prioritises high nutritional density foods. I say "mostly", because I'm not enough of a masochist to eat nothing but massive heaps of vegetables, fruit and beans three times a day! Tonight I'm having a Goodfellas vegan pizza and some red wine, as a reward for eating well for a whole week.

However I do try to eat mostly whole, unprocessed food - I have a big salad for lunch and I've even grown to like green smoothies, though it required a hefty investment in a high-powered blender that can blitz even kale into a smooth, drinkable texture!

I'm hoping that spring gardening will help as well - I lost a couple of pounds last summer despite eating quite a bit of comfort food (free-from bakewell tarts were my go-to!) and still have a lot of heavy work to do setting up the remaining raised beds.
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Eyren's post:
  • JJB, Moth, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Mashed banana between 2 slices of Multi-seed loaf (no butter needed!). According to the packaging that's 300 calories.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, Vinny

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Sticking my neck out here, but surely the best diet is the smaller plate diet?
Continue eating a healthy and blanced diet (or start if you don't Wink ) ie lots of veg, some carbs and a bit of protein, not a lot of sugary empty calories (but we all need treats) but just eat less of it.
When my waistband appears to have shrunk again (early January, normally), I eat less of my usual food until I'm back to where I want to be. But I admit, I'm only usually trying to lose a kilo or two, so this may not work if big losses are needed.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 6 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • JJB, Mikey, Moth, Scarlet, Veggie, Vinny

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(23-02-2021, 04:25 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: Sticking my neck out here, but surely the best diet is the smaller plate diet?

I admit, I'm only usually trying to lose a kilo or two, so this may not work if big losses are needed.

And there lies the rub - I have a lot to lose to get back to a healthy BMI, and a smaller plate just leads to hunger and mood swings and all that unpleasantness. I prefer to improve the overall quality of my diet and eat three square meals with lots of bulk but low caloric density.

I've lost a couple of kilos in the past week alone Big Grin
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Eyren's post:
  • JJB, PyreneesPlot, Vinny

Broadway Offline
Without wanting to offend anyone or state the obvious doesn't it ultimately get down to how much you want/need to lose, this would surely have some input on the chosen method / diet / exercise?

I need to lose a beer gut!

I'm trying more exercise/walking and have cut out a few beers for alcohol free, apparently less calories.
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 6 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Eyren, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I'm with you PP. Eat/drink less junk and more fruit and veg if you're hungry.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Moth, Vinny

toomanytommytoes Offline
(23-02-2021, 04:41 PM)Broadway Wrote: Without wanting to offend anyone or state the obvious doesn't it ultimately get down to how much you want/need to lose, this would surely have some input on the chosen method / diet / exercise?

I need to lose a beer gut!

I'm trying more exercise/walking and have cut out a few beers for alcohol free, apparently less calories.
1 gram of alcohol contains 7 calories. So a pint of 4.5% beer is about 180 calories, a glass of 12% wine is 126 - 210 calories depending on how you define a glass  Wink (150 - 250 ml).
[-] The following 5 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny