Grafting tomatoes
Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Well all the plants performed reasonably well and stayed healthy till the fun guys arrived. I've never had blight rampant in the greenhouse before. The root systems of the grafted plants were really good. As well as grafting Alicante, gardeners delight, Orange banana, Black Russian and Galina, I grew some Roma VF on their own roots. I wasn't too keen on the Roma, the fruit seemed to stay quite hard when cooked. The root system was good but not as good as the grafted plants grown on submarine rootstocks. I will try grafting some plants onto the Roma next year to see how they do as that is not an F1 variety.

The best yield was my favorite for cooking, Alicante at 5.9kg per plant so 53kg from 9 plants. next was my favorite for salads and eating fresh, gardeners delight at 5.1kg average for 3 plants, orange banana averaged 4.2 and black Russian 4.4.

The Galina were disappointing at only 2.9kg per plant but I suspect that mice were helping themselves later on as they were growing well but never seemed to have many ripe fruit. I think the lemony smell and taste attracted them. The first year I grew them rats ate a lot off them. Last year I got 6kg from just 1 plant.

The total yield from 24 plants (21 grafted + 3 Roma) was 110kg.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Veggie