GH plant placing
JJB Offline
Moonraker
As you may know I now have two GH.  I grow in the boarder soil and have space for about 5 plants in each of the 4 borders.
My question is:
I am planning to grow tomatoes, peppers, aubergines and chillies ( with the odd cucumber interspersed).  Should I stick to a single plant type  in each border or mix and match.  In previous years in a single GH I've grown toms predominantly with the odd failed experiment with peppers and aubs shoved in which may have resulted in overcrowding.
Alternatively I could choose to grow chillies in pots (MFBs) that can be moved as required as conditions change although never having grown them before I've no idea yet what those conditions might be.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I grow all the cordon tomatoes together and all the bush tomatoes together as its easier for training/pruning. Bush toms on the sunniest side of the GH so that they don't cast shade on the other side.
Anything that needs pollination also goes together.
Cucumbers always go in the corners.
I grow them all in bottomless MFBs sat on the bed and grow salad crops in the bed around the pots.
When I've grown aubs and peppers they've stayed in pots on the bench or shelf - windowsill tomatoes too.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
That has given me thought about shading and sunnyside. Toms are taller than chillies, peps and aubs so that in itself may influence, but then again the sunniest GH is extra tall so would suit toms. Whatever I decide I will wish I'd done differently. As yet I've still not decided on my tomato list Sad but it's all good fun to experiment after doing the same for decades.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
You have to experiment and find out what works best for you. Of my 4 GHs, only one is really sunny, the others are shaded by sheds. house or summat so I always use them the same way each year.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've only grow chillies /peppers in the ground a couple of times. I much prefer growing in MFB. They get moved around and when the early trusses of the Tom's are picked the buckets can get pushed right upto the Tom stems.
Cues get planted in a row along the backs of the greenhouses. Toms down the sides
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I'm considering planting chillies in MFBs to allow for more versitility, especially the lower growing ones.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(15-02-2021, 10:57 AM)JJB Wrote: I'm considering planting chillies in MFBs to allow for more versitility, especially the lower growing ones.
I find if they are grown in the borders, they can take much longer to fruit as they can be monster of plants ( obviously depends on variety) but if you are growing those they often spend a lot longer putting out roots rather than flowers if not contained? They can sometimes still have lots of fruit in October, moving them indoors can ripen the last of the fruit , you also have the option of keeping them over the winter - no chance of that if planted in the border.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(15-02-2021, 10:04 PM)Scarlet Wrote:
(15-02-2021, 10:57 AM)JJB Wrote: I'm considering planting chillies in MFBs to allow for more versitility, especially the lower growing ones.
I find if they are grown in the borders, they can take much longer to fruit as they can be monster of plants ( obviously depends on variety) but if you are growing those they often spend a lot longer putting out roots rather than flowers if not contained? They can sometimes still have lots of fruit in October, moving them indoors can ripen the last of the fruit , you also have the option of keeping them over the winter - no chance of that if planted in the border.

Brilliant Scarlet,  sound advice and perhaps things I wouldn't have considered.  Thank you.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet, Veggie