What's flying near you?
JJB Offline
Moonraker
(21-03-2021, 12:03 AM)Veggie Wrote: I've had to put tights on my wing mirrors - doesn't everybody?Wink
The sparrows have been attacking the mirrors and pooing all over the doors, while they wait for their turn to chase off their "rival" who looks surprisingly like them!!
First time I saw them a couple of days ago I was fascinated - today, having to scrub off their mess, I am not quite so enchanted.

My socks weren't big enough to go over the wing mirrors so I had to rummage around for a pair of tights (pop-socks actually)!! Hope it works but I must remember to remove them before I drive anywhere - I can imagine the comments. Smile

MiL had the same problem with some small bird (can't remember which), she had to cover her wing mirrors.  She also had pheasants (by the dozen) admiring themselves in the lower window panes and posturing against their reflections.  There were dozens of pheasants because she fed the local pheasants that had been bred for shooting.  I often wonder whether they managed to avoid the guns.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(21-03-2021, 12:03 AM)Veggie Wrote: I've had to put tights on my wing mirrors - doesn't everybody?Wink
The sparrows have been attacking the mirrors and pooing all over the doors, while they wait for their turn to chase off their "rival" who looks surprisingly like them!!
First time I saw them a couple of days ago I was fascinated - today, having to scrub off their mess, I am not quite so enchanted.

My socks weren't big enough to go over the wing mirrors so I had to rummage around for a pair of tights (pop-socks actually)!! Hope it works but I must remember to remove them before I drive anywhere - I can imagine the comments. Smile

Wagtails here - we end up chucking a tarp over the car. Then the wagtail starts spotting rivals in every window of the house ...
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 1 user Likes PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
this little fella called up on the back door step this morning     
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 4 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
A red kite soaring over the field across the road. Two longtailed tits are a pair who visit the fat balls regularly during the day. A daft blue tit excavating somewhere in neighbour's fascia/soffit extracting glass fibre insulation, presumably to make room for a nest. We got quite worried yesterday when we found a place beneath a hedge littered with bits of insulation, having no idea where it came from. P went round the house on his ladders looking for holes and debris but came up with zilch. This morning we saw the culprit. She enters a hole in next door's roofline hidden from sight and exits with a beakfull of insulation then sits in the hedge and drops it to the ground ready for us to clear up of course.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Bren Offline
Had 3 Buzzards above us for most of yesterday afternoon.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
At least 2 pairs of bullfinches around at the moment.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
There were 2 lapwing flying over the field next to us last week but don't seem to be around any more. The farmer has recently ploughed it though.

They did used to nest there for years when a different farmer had the field and grew mainly winter wheat. It seems to be permanently maize grown in it now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Swallows! Heart Smile Just two zipping through the garden heading north.
And a pair of bullfinches checking out the honeysuckle arch for a nest perhaps?
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Bren Offline
Had a Long tailed tit flying around this morning looking into everything, it even came into the lean-to
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Roitelet Offline
Black Redstart, haven’t seen them for a couple of years.
[-] The following 6 users Like Roitelet's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Veggie