What's flying near you?
JJB Offline
Moonraker
Redwings visited the garden in the freezing temps, they were after the running water of the waterfall to the pond. I know they're fairly common but we don't normally see them in the garden.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Bren Offline
Goldfinches in the apple tree 3 of them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bren's post:
  • Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Just the 7 blackbirds eating what is left of the fallen apples now with 1 or 2 fieldfare flitting about.

There were two ring doves at the bird table this morning. I think they look quite handsome and pretty. Not many years ago they were the only type of pigeon round here and caused no problems, not like the wood pigeons that are flourishing now and getting an appetite for more and more produce especially in the spring for more and more fruit buds, blossom and small fruitlets.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Ventured out for a walk down the lane late afternoon. There were a lot of blackbirds cackling and drowning out a couple of thrushes trying to sing. Then a large flock of birds flew over. At first I thought they were crows but white underparts and big shaggy wings confirmed they were lap wings.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I often see birds, drinking from the guttering on the kitchen extension. From my bedroom I have "Birds eye view" of them. This morning, I watched a magpie pulling out leaves followed by something white - which he ate. Eventually, I realised that it was a piece of bread. He kept pulling more and more bits of bread out which he also ate. I'm guessing that it came from the bird feeder. I wonder which bird put the bread in the guttering? This magpie didn't bring it. Maybe he put it there previously and left it to soak to soften it?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Small chilli

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Took a bit of time off from bathroom renovation to look out the window.

2 goldfinch were investigating the flowering dandelions and the first pair of swallows spotted today.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
A Great Tit has been collecting dog fur from the fur dispenser (a wire bird feeder that I stuff with bits of fur). I read something recently that said you shouldn't put fur out for birds as it can get tangled around the fledglings legs. I only put out short stuff as the dogs have been clipped recently but what about the sheep wool that's caught on hedges/fences?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Bob has just walked in and shouted, come look at this. I walk into the porch to find him holding a gillemot . He found it resting in the road between our house and our temporary home. The little fella seemed fine as it was busily trying to attack his coat . While Bob was telling me about it. Bob is now taking the little fella up to the boat slip to find a shelter spot to put the gillemot so he’s closer to his natural habitat . When he’s had a bit of a rest. He can find his way home from there more easily. Hopefully he’s only been blown off course slightly and isn’t suffering from bird flu .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Mark_Riga, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
How exciting! I had to look it up to see what it looked like - a penguin. Big Grin
https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/guillemot
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Bob took a video of it being released hopefully this link will work.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61555297809872
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, MartinH, Veggie