"Backyard Self Sufficiency" by Jackie French
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(09-02-2021, 02:18 PM)Veggie Wrote: Since a Bandicoot is an animal in Oz, is there a "furtle" animal in the UK? Wink A furry turtle maybe??
I imagine the Bandicoot must rob the spuds by digging them up. The only thing that has dug my tatties up in the past is a Rowland.

A 'rat' hasn't got the same resonance as a Bandicoot though. Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(09-02-2021, 02:33 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(09-02-2021, 02:18 PM)Veggie Wrote: Since a Bandicoot is an animal in Oz, is there a "furtle" animal in the UK? Wink A furry turtle maybe??
I imagine the Bandicoot must rob the spuds by digging them up. The only thing that has dug my tatties up in the past is a Rowland.

A 'rat' hasn't got the same resonance as a Bandicoot though. Rolleyes

Bandicoots look like long-nosed rats, and are named after a type of Indian rat - I had to look them up, as my knowledge of marsupials is a bit patchy (and I never played Crash Bandicoot). Not as cute as quokkas, but probably a lot more common!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I can't say "bandicoot" without picturing a bald, bandy legged old man and the thought of him having a furtle in my spuds is a little unpleasant!!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Vinny

Spec Offline
(09-02-2021, 10:44 AM)Veggie Wrote: Modern Greek, of course! I'm not as old as Spec.Wink
It was a bedraggled mother cat and her 2 kittens. They were sitting on a wall at the roadside and a group of local children had given them some water but couldn't get near to them. Of course, the cats came straight to me and I could see they needed worming and flea treatment so I wanted to ask whether there was a Vet in the village!! Just as well i woke up or I'd still be lost in Greece!!

Hoi, leave me out of this, when you are talking of French, Australia and wherever its all Greek to meRolleyes:Tongue
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I was thinking of you with my image of a bandicoot. Tongue
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Spec Offline
Yes and thinking of having a furtle around your spuds is frightening to meBig Grin Big Grin Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Moving on, I've read a few more chapters. Some I've dismissed as irrelevant - like all the different livestock you could keep - apart from the earthworms "which aren't cuddly". That amused me!!
One tip I may take up - basically, not to have bare soil. "When you pull something up, put something back in its place. If you've nothing ready to plant, put in quick growing radish seeds, then pull them up for mulch. This will not only save space, it will stop the bare soil from being damaged by wind and water, and it will stop weeds, which love to colonise bare soil. ".........and forget neat crop rotation and don't plant in neat rows (but I do these anyway).

I always have lots of self-seeded lettuce in the GH so they would be a good source of fill-in plants and can always feed the chooks if I don't want them. I thinking of the times when I pull a couple of leeks, leaving a gap that would be empty until all the leeks are finished.
  • JJB, Spec

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Pulling of a couple of the outside leaves of a leek and leaving it where it came from would cover the soil for a while, probably more than when the leek was upright.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I dig them up, eat most of it and replant the roots and bottom inch in a "permanent" leek area.
  • JJB, Spec