Shallot Growing 2021
Admin Offline
The Boss
My grandad planted parsnips in February under a plank, lifted off in mid March and left to it after that, not even watered through the summer. Brassicas moved about 18 inches each year as this years path would be next years bed.
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 4 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Don't buy banana shallots in the supermarket and plant them as they don't multiply in the way that normal shallots do - but you can buy normal shallots and plant those with success.
Here speaks the voice of experience. Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Vinny

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I've grown shallots quite often but the only thing we have used them for is pickling. Are there many other things they can be used for that they are better than onions?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Vinny

Broadway Offline
Hello Mark

I've only grown them a couple of times and that was about 10 years ago.

Certainly there are recipes that call for shallots rather than onions but I'm no expert regards taste difference.
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Mark_Riga

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Saw this on a Riverford post and am tempted to try growing these onions (not shallots).

"Penny's January Jobs #3 - what worked?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Last year my biggest success was my tropea onions which were a massive hit in the field kitchen. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Onion cipolla di tropea is an Italian onion that they boast about being the sweetest most attractive onion ever! And chefs love it. You can cook it whole or slice it up. It’s super sweet and delicious. You can also use the tops like a spring onion. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
We also strung some up and they looked great hanging in the Field Kitchen. Not one to store for too long but up until Christmas and then they were all used up! ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
It’s nearly time to sow them so I’ve already ordered more seed"
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(09-02-2021, 12:45 AM)Mark_Riga Wrote: I've grown shallots quite often but the only thing we have used them for is pickling. Are there many other things they can be used for that they are better than onions?

I'm not keen on pickled onions, but I really enjoyed last year's shallots microwaved in butter, seasoning and herbs with the resulting liquid supplemented with either milk or cream then thickened if necessary.  Basically onion sauce with lumps of whole shallots.  It made a different side veg.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Mark_Riga, Veggie, Vinny

mcdood Offline
(08-02-2021, 08:28 PM)Veggie Wrote: Don't buy banana shallots in the supermarket and plant them as they don't multiply in the way that normal shallots do - but you can buy normal shallots and plant those with success.
Here speaks the voice of experience. Wink

You've given me an idea though veggie, I might plant a few Zebrune shallots from last year to save seeds from. I've not seen anything to say they're F1
[-] The following 3 users Like mcdood's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Vinny

mcdood Offline
(09-02-2021, 12:45 AM)Mark_Riga Wrote: I've grown shallots quite often but the only thing we have used them for is pickling. Are there many other things they can be used for that they are better than onions?

I've just had one this morning along with some cheese in a sandwich Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like mcdood's post:
  • Broadway, Mark_Riga

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(10-02-2021, 09:29 AM)mcdood Wrote:

I've just had one this morning along with some cheese in a sandwich Smile

I was just going  to 'like' your post Mcdood, but just couldn't bring myself to do it, raw onions at this time of day (or any time for that matter) is eeewwww Sick , now cooked ones I can understand.   No kisses for you from your OH this morning then? Big Grin
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, mcdood, Spec, Veggie

mcdood Offline
We have toothpaste where I come from JJB, but I still won't get any kisses Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like mcdood's post:
  • JJB, Spec, Veggie