Sloping gardens
Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
Good advice, thank you.

So, now you are my home buying guru, what do you think of the Money Pit?
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 2 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
Oh, by the way, remember I moaned about pictures being Photoshopped? Well, the Money Pit is being sold by a different estate agent but has clearly been Photoshopped by the same person as the sloping garden house - that flying duck cloud features in multiple photos yet again!
  • Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I spotted the flying duck!!

OK, the Money Pit -lovely long open garden, south facing, ?fruit trees, potting shed behind the garage. Looks quite private.
Couple of odd things though, the side porch is the only entrance and the door is at the back of the porch - so callers would come in to the front garden from the garage side, walk across the windowless front of the house, go past the porch and turn back to the front door. Its as if the porch was put on the wrong way round! the washing machine also seems to be in the porch!
Bus stop outside the front wall - don't know how busy it is - or convenient for you?
Seems to be steps down to a cellar?
I guess the house was built before its neighbours and faced ?west. Then the other house were built alongside.
The rooms look a reasonable size, bathroom and kitchen functional. Imagine it without their furniture and it might look q lot more modern.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Proserpina

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
Agreed, it could do with a pedestrian gate on the same end of the wall as the front door.

The downstairs toilet in the living room is a bit odd! I would have had the entrance be from the dining room.

I can see knocking the kitchen and dining room together, then you could take the washing machine out of the porch (and build a nice stone porch with a front door facing the street instead of that PVC monstrosity with the front door at the back!) and install a modern kitchen. That would make the downstairs ideal for me. Upstairs is a little small and building an extension above the living room to add a third bedroom seems a bit daunting.

It's probably a house for a few years from now when I've fully accepted being on my own, rather than now where I'm still thinking about future-proofing.

However, did you look at the satellite pictures of the garden? It's phenomenal! Not sure I could face trimming all those hedges and cutting all that grass though Big Grin
  • Veggie, Vinny

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Looks like a patio door from the lounge into the garden? I thought putting the washing m/c where it is not a bad idea as make more room in kitchen.
Didn't like the spin dryer though - where is the washing line? or is it a dodgy area?
A third bedroom could be added when needed. The property seems quite high relative to other houses and could may be be added on the side if you didn't mind loosing the garage.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB, Proserpina, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Hedges are a pain to keep in trim - so I don't.Wink
Bear in mind that I've never been to Sheffield, or know anything about the area so I've been searching for houses for sale with "large garden" or "greenhouse" on the basis that that might mean the owners were gardeners.
Found one with a garden that was just meWink Corner Cottage...............but there was no access from the road, just pedestrian access in front of other houses. Too far to carry stuff.
Then there's this one https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/88763203#/ but look at the steps up to the front door!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Proserpina, Vinny

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
(08-02-2021, 12:08 AM)Veggie Wrote: Hedges are a pain to keep in trim - so I don't.Wink
Bear in mind that I've never been to Sheffield, or know anything about the area so I've been searching for houses for sale with "large garden" or "greenhouse" on the basis that that might mean the owners were gardeners.
Found one with a garden that was just meWink Corner Cottage...............but there was no access from the road, just pedestrian access in front of other houses. Too far to carry stuff.
Then there's this one https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/88763203#/ but look at the steps up to the front door!

Yep, that one is already on my favourites list! Not the best location though - one of my friends used to live nearby and it wasn't too bad, but borders on some less pleasant bits. If it sticks around for a while, I might take a look at it, but I can probably only manage one viewing a week right now (and I'm not sure even that is a great idea as my chest is still suffering from my trip out this morning) so have to be selective. Anything decent is getting snapped up within a week of being listed, but hopefully things will start to move at a more reasonable pace once the stamp duty holiday deadline is clearly not achievable (it doesn't affect me directly because I'm a first-time buyer looking at houses under £300k, but the indirect effects have been massive).

I know the Corner Cottage one too. That's been on for ages - since last summer, I think. It might have had a sale fall through and then gone back on, or the vendors pulled it for a bit. That one's on the bus route between my parents' house (where I grew up) and town, so I've passed it many a time. That whole block of cottages are really pretty, and at least that one is set back behind the cottages on the main road. The pictures make it look lovely and rural (and it basically backs onto a big common, so it kind of is) but that road is really busy and a major route from the outskirts into town. Parking is likely to be a real problem (once I can drive, assuming driving lessons restart at some point). Garden is definitely appealing though!
[-] The following 3 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
(07-02-2021, 11:51 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: Looks like a patio door from the lounge into the garden? I thought putting the washing m/c where it is not a bad idea as make more room in kitchen.
Didn't like the spin dryer though - where is the washing line? or is it a dodgy area?
A third bedroom could be added when needed. The property seems quite high relative to other houses and could may be be added on the side if you didn't mind loosing the garage.

I've never owned a tumble dryer, and have only used one since moving into my current accommodation because there's not a lot of space for my drying rack. For that house, there's plenty of room for a washing line at the back, and the area should be fine for hanging things out. However, I suspect it's either a probate sale or the owners have gone into 24-hour care. It's clearly quite dated, there's a keysafe by the front door, and they've installed an oddly placed downstairs toilet. They were probably struggling on for a while before deciding to sell (or passing away) and not up to hanging washing out. I get an awful lot of patients admitted after falling while trying to hang the washing out, so it's not the safest activity for anyone who isn't completely steady on their feet!
[-] The following 5 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie, Vinny

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
Not that I can afford this house (nor do I want its not-so-spacious garden), but the flying duck strikes again in picture 6!

Also, the Money Pit has sold! I felt a pang of disappointment as I was half thinking about trying to get a viewing this weekend. I still don't think I would have gone for it (and viewing would have been a struggle after the busy week I've had), but the enormous garden might have resulted in my eyes being bigger than my stomach common sense. 

The sloping garden has (unsurprisingly) sold as well. No pang of regret there though, so I am happy I made the right choice. 

Fingers crossed that the right house and garden will come up soon, and all hail the flying duck, for it shall bring me to the great pond in the sky below which my future lies!

<Quack Quack>
[-] The following 4 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

MartinH Offline
Great advice from Veggie in this thread!
In particular, she's right when she says there's no such thing as a perfect house. We've been looking since November, which is one reason I haven't been on here much. We finally took the plunge and got an offer accepted last week. It's in a great location, has a lovely feeling when you walk in, and a south-facing garden that hasn't been covered in decking or astroturf.

Have you noticed that what estate agents call a "large garden" is often what I would think of as quite a small one? And how everyone seems to be covering their gardens with artificial grass these days?

On the downside, rear access is via the garage, there are privet hedges down both sides of the back garden (yuck) and the interior needs rather more work than I was hoping to make it nice. Still, I can live with the former and can fix the latter over time.

We were really tempted by another, completely different house close by. This one was pristine, historic but beautifully modernised, but the downsides of a not-really-big-enough garden and a grade II listing finally put us off.

I'm sure you will find the right place for you soon, just need to keep looking!
[-] The following 7 users Like MartinH's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Proserpina, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny