Oscillating Hoe
mcdood Offline
I took the plunge and it arrived today. Will let you know if any good when it's been put to use.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 4 users Like mcdood's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Vinny

mcdood Offline
I took it for a test run this morning and I like it. Runs through the soil surface a lot easier and more accurately than I ever could with my Dutch Hoe, chops the weeds with ease and tills the soil quite nicely. If I could change one thing I'd have had a slightly longer handle but then again I do have backache atm
[-] The following 5 users Like mcdood's post:
  • Admin, Broadway, Can the Man, Eyren, Veggie

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(14-03-2021, 11:43 AM)mcdood Wrote: I took it for a test run this morning and I like it. Runs through the soil surface a lot easier and more accurately than I ever could with my Dutch Hoe, chops the weeds with ease and tills the soil quite nicely. If I could change one thing I'd have had a slightly longer handle but then again I do have backache atm

I remember reading/seeing somewhere that English gardening tools have much shorter handles than European ones - maybe it was on the Implementations website? I can't remember the explanation, though - maybe it was the Victorians not caring if their gardeners developed bad backs, or maybe it's just because people were shorter in those days?

(On a side note, I do remember someone saying that the reason a lot of surviving historical clothing is so small is because it would often have been taken in when it was handed down to a younger sibling, not because adults were tiny!)
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Can the Man, Jimny14, Proserpina

Broadway Offline
(14-03-2021, 11:43 AM)mcdood Wrote: I took it for a test run this morning and I like it. Runs through the soil surface a lot easier and more accurately than I ever could with my Dutch Hoe, chops the weeds with ease and tills the soil quite nicely. If I could change one thing I'd have had a slightly longer handle but then again I do have backache atm
Do you have an updated verdict Dood?
Regards..........Danny Smile

Jimny14 Offline
Eyren, regarding garden tools having short handles, I have a memory somewhere in the back of my mind that our garden spades and shovels were adapted implements from miners tools (miners borrowing their work tools to tend the garden I imagine) and miners tools have short handles as they're designed to be used kneeling.
Now I am a tall man but I have been known to use my modern spades while kneeling and it works for me in some circumstances.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Broadway, JJB

doublyjonah Offline
(13-10-2021, 05:28 PM)Broadway Wrote:
Danny, I'm no Dood, but my husband has one of these: https://www.quickcrop.co.uk/product/osci...XlNGglrWqo

He really likes it. It's been culling weeds and working the slightly dampish heavy clay really well recently. Seems a decent handle length (although I'm several inches shorter than he is, so your mileage may vary).
[-] The following 2 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • Broadway, JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
By coincidence, a Quickcrop 20% discount offer has just appeared in my emails

Special Offer
This week, to help you out with all your gardening jobs, we've got 20% off some of our most popular autumn tools - The Golden Gark, Long Handled Bulb Planter & the Kent & Stowe Oscillating Hoe. Links below.

Use code AUTUMNTOOLS20 at checkout.
Offer ends midnight Wednesday October 20th.

https://www.quickcrop.co.uk/product/kent...lating-hoe?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, JJB

Broadway Offline
(14-10-2021, 12:26 PM)doublyjonah Wrote:
(13-10-2021, 05:28 PM)Broadway Wrote:
Danny, I'm no Dood, but my husband has one of these: https://www.quickcrop.co.uk/product/osci...XlNGglrWqo

He really likes it. It's been culling weeds and working the slightly dampish heavy clay really well recently. Seems a decent handle length (although I'm several inches shorter than he is, so your mileage may vary).
Thanks JD

I think I'm gonna treat myself just looking for the best price. As Dood said in an earlier post some seem ok then they hike the postage!
Regards..........Danny Smile

doublyjonah Offline
Oh man, the delivery prices always sneak in...I guess it is a strangely shaped item to ship though!
[-] The following 1 user Likes doublyjonah's post:
  • Broadway